Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_wade_gw

Willow Tree Mist

kristin_wade
15 years ago

Hi All,

I have a rather random question, but I was just out visiting my parents in Eastern Oregon at their retirement property. The property is lined with these huge willow trees... I'm assuming "weeping willows". Anyway, in the afternoon there is a lovely mist that comes from them. Its quite pleasant in the heat.

My question is, is that where the name "weeping willow" comes from? Or, dare I ask, is it associated with something else like the seemingly large population of aphids on them? Anyway, I'm just wondering if we were all basking in a natural substance from the tree or some sort of aphid waste! ;)

Comments (23)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

The common name, Weeping Willow, comes from the fact that they have pendulous (weeping) branches and they're members of the Salix (willow) genus.

I've never heard of one having mist coming from it. Before I stood in this mist, I would definitely check for its source. Standing downwind from bug waste doesn't sound fun. LOL

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Willows often grow in wetlands, and mist often rises from wetlands. It's the water in the ground that makes for both.

Resin

• kristin_wade
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the responses so far, its definitly not coming from the ground. You can look up, while standing under the tree, and see the mist coming from the branches and leaves. Again, there are tons on aphids on them though... is it possible that this is coming from the bugs??? :P

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yep, the rain of honeydew ('aphid poo') would act as good condensation nuclei for water vapour in saturated air above the wetland. So that effect could well happen.

Resin

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

According to the National Park Service, the "smoke" that gave the Smokey Mountains their name is actually evaporating rain water from tree's foliage. On overcast days, it can actually look like the trees are smoking. So perhaps the willow trees are just enjoying a nice steam in the summertime.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

The "mist" is not coming from moisture evaporating from the tree's leaves. The amount of water evaporating from a tree would not be sufficient to be felt as a mist.

• kmblc3
    15 years ago

I have this same phenom going on in my own yard and it is indeed aphid "poo".....LOL! I did a search online and found this...

Issue: July 14, 2001
    Raining honeydew from willow
    Growing cherry pits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raining honeydew from willow
    Question:
    I have a willow tree that seems to be "raining" down what feels like moisture in hot weather. Is this common? What is the tree doing? If you look at the tree with the sun behind it, you can see the particles falling. - Pat J., via internet

Answer:
    This is a common occurrence in the summer. The most likely cause is an infestation of aphids in the leaves of the tree. The aphids feed on the liquids in the leaf of the tree. This "sap" is high in sugar and low in protein, so a large quantity of sap must be consumed. Surplus water and sugar (in the form of a syrupy substance called honeydew) is excreted by the aphids. This is the material "raining" down. The windshield of a car parked under the tree will soon be covered with little sticky drops of honeydew. Some people complain of damage to the paint on cars as a result of this.

Aphids may do relatively little damage to an ornamental shade tree, so they are more of a nuisance than a danger. If the tree is small enough, you may be able to manage the infestation by spraying a strong jet of water into the tree. This washes the aphids from the leaves of the tree, stopping them from feeding until some of them find their way back into the tree's leaves (many will die, but many will return). When they are not feeding on the leaves, the raining of honeydew will also cease.

If you think more drastic measures are required, there are insecticides that may be used to effectively control aphids. Check the labels of insecticides at local nurseries for a product available in your area that can be used for management of aphids.

Because you must apply this material to the leaves at the top of the tree as well as lower leaves, it is difficult for a homeowner to spray a large tree. In the case of such a tree, it would be wise to hire a licensed pesticide professional.

• kristin_wade
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No dreams shattered... just fear confirmed... I'll get back to my folks and tell them to stop basking in the aphid poo in the hot afternoons. HA!

They'll probably treat the trees...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

dont get me wrong... i never turn down a chemical when NECESSARY .. and when all else fails ....

but to spray a line.. of what you call HUGE willows .... with aerosolized chemicals..

horrifies even me ....

i figure a loss of every beneficial insect for a square mile ... including all bees ... frogs.. maybe birds ... yikes ... perhaps an overstatement of reality ...

you.. nor a bug.. nor a billion aphids .. can kill a willow ...

until you can prove that they are doing any real damage.. TO THE TREE .... i would pray for avoidance of treatment ....

bug plagues come.. and they go ... sometimes it is suggested it is a cycle... that might take decades ... a particularly harsh winter... or even the increased population that breeds increased predators .... will take care of the problem ....

PLEASE TRY TO TALK THEM OUT OF CHEMICALS >>... organic or not ... and tell them the ants.. are milking the aphids.. for the honeydew .... not attacking the tree .... unless they can prove they are that kind of ant ...

they will easily find people who will take their money and destroy nature... i guess it will be up to you to try to talk them out of it ...

as soon as the first frost hits.. the population will start falling.. at least in my z5 ....... and that is mere weeks away .... no idea what zone they are ...

ken

• kristin_wade
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HA! Apparently I've found a way to get you fired up, Ken. Don't worry, they are both earth-friendly, responsible people.

Thanks for everyone's help!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

I used to tell students to taste it....never could get any takers!

• Patrick Man
    7 years ago

Are you sure they are Willow trees? Near Spokane there are some raining trees that on a hot day will rain down a cool mist that's invigorating. Quite sure it's not aphid poo. I found your thread trying to figure out what kind of trees they are. Considering the geographic proximity they might be the same thing.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Patrick, not sure you'll get much of a response from a nearly 10 y.o. thread but weeping willows are pretty unmistakable in their appearance. And there are a number of other trees that aphids highly favor that could be producing a similar "mist" - lindens and birches, just to name a couple. But while trees will emit water vapor on hot, sunny days as part of the transpiration process, it is just that - vapor, a gas - and won't produce a mist-like substance.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago

I can just see Patrick out there with a big smile on his face enjoying the cool aphid poo shower. LOL

• Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b
    7 years ago

The most expensive coffee in the world went through an animal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I don't know why everyone is grossed out by "aphid poo"! Honeydew - aphid poo - is just sugar water. Aphids and other plant sucking insects feed on plant sap from the tissues of (usually) new growth. This sap is a mixture of sugars and proteins. The aphids need the proteins for survival and get rid of the sugars.

A very prized form of honey is made from honeydew - Honeydew Honey

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago

There's just something about excrement raining down on your head that doesn't seem pleasing to me. Not everyone feels the same; dogs sometimes eat their own poop, but I tend to avoid such stuff.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I guess it is the nature of the excrement that would concern me. Sugar water seems particularly non-offensive in the grand scheme of things. Dog poop, on the other hand, would be highly unpleasant!!

• Patrick Man
    6 years ago

I didn't anticipate this thread devolving into a discussion of the merits of being rained on by different types of poo. In my case I'm 99% sure these trees are misting water, not aphid poo... certainly no smell or taste to it. Now dog poo raining down, that definitely has a smell and a taste...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    6 years ago

Patrick, if you indeed are experiencing something that no one else has ever seen, you might want to investigate further. If you come up with idea about how the trees would be able to accomplish this bizarre and exceedingly rare phenomenon, let us know!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    6 years ago

And if you see dog poo raining down....by all means, run away quickly. LOL

• HU-7517896737884232781
    5 years ago

Our neighbor in Barranquilla, Colombia had a Willow Tree brought from Mexico which wetted the floor around it with a watery liquid. Adolfo