Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heritage river birch -losing leaves and how long do they live?

Posted by amoc Z5, NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 22:25

Hi,

I am in zone 5, NY's Hudson Valley. I have planted 4 multi trunked heritage river birches on my property, about 6 years ago. They are lovely and growing up fast and I am so happy to finally have some dappled shade around my house.

However... Every year around this time they lose about a third to half of their leaves (they yellow out and fall). They seem fine after that and come back fine each spring and grow significantly each year. No dead branches, etc. Do you think they are under some kind of stress? I do water the perennial beds around them... but not very consistently... My soil is sandy and poor, ph ~6.5. But there are beds around them and they are mulched and cow manure/top soil has been added consistently. Why do you think the leaves fall?

Secondly, how long do these trees live? Should I get some other trees started around them so they can fill in later? I do need shade where they are... I saw this question was asked before but not for this area...

Thanks much!
Anda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heritage river birch -losing leaves and how long do they live

It is usually the same reason for the yellowing. They are river birches so they are used to living alongside rivers. Any other place and they will have some leaf loss during the hottest of summer days. This will not hurt the tree, but is actually the way the tree deals with water issues. I heard in the urban landscape they can last only maybe 25-40 years, but that is not always the case. Good Luck!

o
RE: Heritage river birch -losing leaves and how long do they live

Shedding leaves is how some trees deal with water stress. Less leaves means less water loss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here