Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

King (or Queen) of drought tolerant shade trees

whaas_5a
10 years ago

My front yard just bakes with western exposure and dries out like you wouldn't believe. I have a Gingko closer to the house (20' away) but looking to put something closer to the street (about 15' away) .

Looking to put a durable drought tolerant shade tree that is adaptable to 7.5ph sandy soil.

I'm thinking Quercus macrocarpa is the one but perhaps I'm missing other considerations?

Comments (13)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Whaas, I am thinking of my vacations to Phoenix, Vegas or Colorado. Darn cottonwoods were all over the place. Tons of conifers in dry Colorado.... Besides crab apples and Russian olives or whatever that invasive was I really did not see THAT many large shade trees....

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

The bur oak is probably the most drought-tolerant of the large "shade" trees. There are a few other deciduous trees that are more drought-resistant but they are smaller and/or not suitable for a Z5 climate.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Most any established oak or hard pine is drought resistant. Rock chestnut oaks are the best on the driest rock slopes in the Appalachians -- stunted, but healthy. Black, white & scarlet oaks too. Table Mnt pines survive on sun-scorched shale outcrops.

Honey locust here puts on new growth thru Sept no matter how hot/dry it is -- just slows down.

And the cottonwoods -- seen 'em in the NV desert. They're able to get roots way down in the sand (50' deep or more) to find underground water.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gents, thanks for the feedback!

I'd consider the cottonwoods peasants. They are everywhere here as well. They are invasive if you ask me. My neighbor lets them grow and they are choking out his spruces, oaks and maples.

I'd love to roll with White and Scarlet oak but soil might be a bit too compacted and alkaline for both these plants. Quercus bicolor is another choice but they "can" struggle on 7.5 pH.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Q/.macrocarpa gets my vote, but Q.muehlenbergii would probably do well, too.
    One of the thornless Osage Orange clones would probably also work - and you'd probably be the only person on the block with one!

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Not a favorite of many but Quercus stellata is the poster child around here for your requirements.

Edit: I had no idea when I posted that that it's hardiness range was so far to the south Wisconsin. Not a good selection for you, sorry

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 20:00

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Escarpment live oak trees rule central Texas when it comes to drought tolerant in the wild. I don't see many Bur oak trees or Texas Red oaks like that.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Escarpment Live oak has survived 3 winters in my zone 6 yard, not sure of zone 5a though. I would try it anyway, but mine is ULTRA slow growing. Mine is still about 14-16 inches tall after 4 summers. I thought it died, and I planted another Live oak hybrid near where it was and the new one is taller than the Q. Fusiformis, planted 3 + years ago, which came back from a sprout and pushed out about a foot of new branches. Try Quartz mountain Quercus Fusiformis if you try Live oak. Acorns of Burr oak are said to put down tap roots as long as 7 ft deep. I have one from acorns from Dax last fall, it is about 2 3/4 ft tall. It was the tallest of all the acorns I sowed. Will post pics soon.

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

Cupressus dupreziana in the Sahara.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Planted the acorn in the fall of 2012. Burr oak seed from Dax. {{gwi:383047}} It is still only July 21st. For drought tolerance I would plant acorns. Just my opinion, though.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Quartz mountain live oak are known to be -20F hardy. Zone 5 easy. But Burr oak acorns may be the way to go. Especially if you add tall tubes (3 ft) that should help the babies get some height. The depth of 7 ft taproot is of course not guaranteed, but is possible. The Quercus Fusiformis is a desert dweller though. If you have patience to see it grow SLOWLY it will surely be there growing about 6 inches annually. Maybe more once roots get going.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

whaas, recommend chinkapin oak for alkaline soil. Pretty sure burr oak has some high pH tolerance too. Honeylocust, Kentucky coffeetree or osage orange (var Whiteshield is male, thornless & upright) don't mind higher pH soil either. All should be drought-tolerant when established.

Lucky, my Whiteshield osage orange now at 25' grows out of crushed limestone & is developing a vase-like form more like an Amer elm than a classic OO. Read somewhere that the males grow this way. Try cutting an OO branch is like cutting thru iron...

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate all the addtional suggestions!

I forgot about Maclura pomifera Whiteshield. Might be a nice selection for another location.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21