Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much should I water my newly planted Maple?

Posted by jb_nj 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 23:12

I just had a ball and burlap Red Sunset Maple (Acer rubrum) planted. It is about 12' high, with a 3-1/2" trunk diameter. I am zone 7, NJ. Weather here has been warm and very humid lately (typical NJ summer).

What should my watering schedule be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much should I water my newly planted Maple?

watering is an art.. NOT a science... no such thing as a schedule in the art world ...

water when the tree needs water .... insert finger.. or dig a small hole to find out if water.. moving through your soil .. in your yard.. in your climate.. is getting to the rootball ...

you need to provide water.. for 2 or 3 years.. to all the roots that were cut off for transplant ...

superficial watering of the surface.. will insure death ...

put the hose on trickle... for an hour.. go dig a small hole.. and see how deep the water got.... if it did not get down the two or three feet of the rootball size.. water for another hour.. go dig another hole .... all this digging.. outside the rootball is not going to harm the rootball.. since it was just planted.. do NOT dig within the rootball ... just next to it ... i am talking hand trowel... not shovel ....

once you determine how long it takes to get water down there .... turn off the water.. and put the hose away ...

and do NOT water again.. until your finger.. inserted to the second knuckle.. under the mulch i hope you applied.. indicates that the soil is dry or hot ....

as much as the roots need water.. they also need air ... do NOT drown the thing with too much love ....

good luck

ken

o

Thanks Ken. Where should I locate the hose spout when I leave it on trickle? Should I water both inside and outside the root ball?

o

Just put the hose under the tree, near the trunk. If you give it plenty of water, on a slowwww deep soak, the entire planting hole area will become saturated. Mulch the entire area, 2-3" deep, keep it away from the trunk.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 10:15

Checking the soil outside the rootball is not always enough. Unless the soil of the rootball is the same type of soil as the surrounding soil, a rootball can become saturated while the surrounding soil is relatively dry or can completely dry out while the surrounding soil is moist. SO, checking the rootball for moisture is also of key importance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here