Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

What is your tallest tree?

I just stumbled into a 100 foot tape measure and this app that helps me calculate angles on my phone so with all the posts concerning calculating tree height aI decided to go measure my big oak.

Guess what, my QuercusÃÂ imbricaria shingle oak is probably 100 feet tall!

My method was to survey the yard for level areas using the app. Then stretch to tape out its full 100 feet from the tree and layed down in the grass. I got lucky and could see the leader clearly and have a pretty straight tree. I measured the angle and got 46+ degrees.

So trig says at 46.1 degrees the tree is 103 foot tall.

What is your largest tree and how did you measure?

Comments (10)

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

IIRC, that's big for a shingle oak - they're not typically the tallest oaks out there.

Awesome!

• poaky1
    10 years ago

There is an old Shingle oak near me in a really old Cemetary. I still can't figure out how to measure tree height. Well, Anyway Congrats on your big healthy Shingle oak Toronado. The old one I've seen at the cemetery is wider than tall. I had a seedling Shingle oak but it seemed to wither away for no reason. I replaced it with a Q. Alba acorn, which is doing fine in mostly shade. Back to the posted question my tallest tree is either my Pin oak or my Chestnut oak. Quercus Palastris or Q. Prinus/ Montana. I also have a Q. Robur that has a tall upright growth pattern.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Sorry again I didn't even measure the height of my trees, sorry. It's late here.

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

My tallest tree is no undubtedly a norway spruce, they outgrow everything else here with ease. Better cut them down when they are still young and easy work.

This post was edited by Huggorm on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 4:08

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

My tallest was a Red Maple. I call it a red maple as the wood is red. I'm not sure what it is exactly? I had it trimmed because of carpenter ants compromising the tree. The tree trimmer said it was 120 feet tall. Some oaks nearby are just as tall, Red oaks. Here's a photo of them removing the top of the tree via a crane. The tree this came from is behind the house on the right. This red maple is as good as any oak to burn, hot and long lasting, nothing like say silver maple which burns up quickly. This was 4 years ago, the tree is doing fine btw! Only the damaged top was removed. The tree is at least 200 years old. It's about 80 feet tall now.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

About 110' for the sycamore, about 100' for the white pine on the far right, which is just off my lot. Tree on far left still holding green leaves is a bitternut hickory. Taken in early Nov yrs ago.

Edit: Just used a known measurement marked on the trunk & scaled by an image program.

This post was edited by beng on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 10:27

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Posted by Drew51 6a SE MI

Glad you didn't cut it all the way down. Red maples have strong sprouting abilities & can recover from a "missing" top.

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

I have a Carya tomentosa over 100' tall and absolutely stunning. I worry it will get killed by a huge spark one day. We have alot of those in Florida in summer.

• subtropix
    10 years ago

House number 2, and the tallest tree is once again a Pin Oak. In House #1, half of the tree came down on my roof, and the tree (neighbor's), had to be removed costing the neighbor 2 gran.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Like sali, the biggest tree on my property is Carya tomentosa. It is in the middle of the woods and absolutely dwarfs the post oaks and red oaks around it. I really don't know how I can measure it since I have to be far removed from the timber line to see the leader. I'll take a pic the tree tops when I get home today. It is mighty impressive. Also like sali, I fear lightening will get it someday but it has obviously been the king of the woods there for a very long time without any damage.

John

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!