Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bradford Pear Tree

Posted by MarcoYukon none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 23:15

I have a few Bradford trees that have their leaves turning yellow with dark brown patches. It is affecting most of them. I lost 2-3 last year and probably will lose more if I don't do anything about it. Here are some images. If you have any idea what could be happening, please let me know. These are established trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bradford Pear Tree

Additional image

o

Have you inspected the bark on each tree very closely, from the ground up, looking for evidence of borers?

o

...also:

1) how old are these trees?

2) were they bare-root, container, or B&B?

3) do you install them, or have it done?

o

Marco, your Bradford problem looks different than what I am suddenly seeing around here. Did this start with the outer eight inches or so of branches turning brown? That just looks different than the fireblight which seems to have modified itself to attack the Bradford clone monocultures Lowes and Homedespot have created.

o

toronado,
It could still easily be fireblight (not saying that is what it is), as FB also makes cankers. Entry through a flower on a small branch along a larger branch, then working its way downward over the course of the growing season. That's one way to produce a canker, resulting in what we see in the pictures, but not the only way.

Marco, as much as most of us here don't like these pears, I'm still sorry to have to tell you that you are probable better off removing your remaining pears, and planting something different from another family of plants. If you are open to this, ask here, and many people will be happy to help you if you will provide relevant information.

JMHO
Arktrees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here