Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I save this sugar maple?

Posted by daniel_cl 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 23:27

Hello,

A couple years back we received a maple sugar tree from the city. The tree had a little fungus problem on the branches, and this year the problem had become severe and the trunk is affected. Please follow the link below to see a picture:

http://novelforum.org/tmp/garden/unhappy_sugar_maple_tree.jpg

I also see some little black bugs living inside the cracked bark.

My question is whether I can still save this tree by cutting near the base of the infected trunk. The growing new leaves suggest that the tree root seems to be doing ok.

Thanks!

Daniel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save this sugar maple?

Looks like the main trunk of your maple is completely dead. It's hard to tell for sure, but it also appears that something may have girdled your tree's trunk (animal/string-trimmer damage?). Yes, cut the trunk just above ground level (maybe a little lower than your cut line, shown in the picture), and let a root sucker take over.

o

i would cut it...

and reduce to two suckers....

and after bud break next spring... reduce to one.. and maintain one ...

looks a bit telephone-poled ... any idea where the root flare is???

ken

o

It's hard to tell from the photo of the trunk, but if you see bark splitting on a young tree, you might have experienced frost cracking over the winter. This happens with young trees that have thin bark, when you get alternating freezing and thawing, and it is usually found on the southwest side of the trunk. It's very common on Lindens, but it can affect many trees, including young maples.

In any case, the main portion of the tree is gone. The good news is, you have very healthy growth coming up, and we had a tree in exactly the same condition when we moved into our home six years ago. I wanted to take out the eyesore. My husband insisted we let it be. Well, it grew into a beautiful multi-trunk maple, but unfortunately it's a Silver Maple. I am thinking that was the rootstock and the original homeowners had planted a grafted maple. Imean, NO ONE intentionally plants a Silver Maple, right?

I'm still not crazy about the tree because I don't like Silver Maples, but my husband insists if it's a tree and it's alive, it stays. The new growth on yours doesn't appear to be Silver Maple, so just look after it, and when it's big enough, begin pruning it into a nice tree form. Try to get it to a single trunk.

o

Thanks for the tips.
I followed the advice and took out the trunk. Hope for the best!

o

The growth down at the base looks more Red Maple than Sugar Maple to me...FWIW...

Regardless if a red or a sugar, if grafted, the rootstock sprouts can grow into a perfectly nice tree, but it might not be the same as what died above...if it's a red maple (Acer rubrum, which to me it looks like), it might have yellow or orange fall color as opposed to the red of the cultivars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here