Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree bark splitting open white fungus

Posted by SVTterminator 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 23:37

Not sure what tree this is but it was planted in 2006 by the city I believe. We had an awful winter in Chicago so maybe this is just winter damage. Or I'm not sure if they planted it too deeply.

Please provide any guidance. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree bark splitting open white fungus

Tree seems to be growing fine

o

Anyone?

o

It COULD be sun scald. Is it on the SW side of tree only? If so, the tree should heal over after a couple of seasons, assuming it doesn't happen over and over.
There are things you can do for scald like tree wrap, but don't apply in the summer.

o

Remove the loose bark over the wound. Don't be over-aggressive and remove bark above living tissue (beyond the limits of the wound). The loose bark over the wound is serving no purpose and is holding moisture (increasing chance of rot) and possibly harboring pests.

Take a look at the wound at and below ground level. Does the wound extend below ground? I can't tell much from the picture, but it looks like a good possibility.

o

The white fungus is growing on the dead part of the tree. Ignore it.

o

where is the root flare???

ken

o

That lesion looks to be at least a couple of years old... but you just noticed it? Don't think its' the result of the winter just past.
It's a maple of some type.

o

Yes corkball the damage is only in the sw side where it gets tons of sun

Thanks Brandon 7 I'll have to dig the dirt up to see.

Ken good point I'll dig to find the root flare.

Lucky_p yes I just noticed this year as I'm new to gardening and really didn't pay attention to trees till I began transforming the landscape. Now I'm learning as I go along. This site is amazing for picking up valuable information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here