Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

nyssa sylvatica cultivars

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I am seeing that several cutivars of Nyssa sylvatica are being released...a good thing IMHO since they are a great native tree.

Who has 'Wildfire'? I like the red new growth and of course fall color.

How long does new growth stay red before turning green?
When does it turn color in fall? Nyssa seems to generally color pretty early, but this one is described as being "later than the species".

Comments (8)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Hey hairmetal, seeing a lot of you around lately!

I have a Wildfire and have tried the regular species also. Below is a link to a thread of me running my mouth about my wildfire experience.

Probably what to get out of it is I have found nyssa to be a difficult transplant. My main species transplants and then the wildfire all died back almost to the ground their first year in the ground. The Wildfire was my 3rd attempt and I left it in the same place and what do ya know, it did not die back the second year.

It has grown well since May 2011 and now is seven foot tall.

I'll get a pic tomorrow, but it is still fairly red on the latest growth now.

With the dieback mine might not be the best example. It seems to color late October for me and is somewhat spotted red / pink. It is less impressive in fall than mature regular species trees I see around town but still good. We will see after it balances out roots vs canopy. Mine with the rapid growth is red enough before July 4th it rivals my crabapple so green would be a color it changes to lol!

When I plant another nyssa wildfire or species I would get a three or four foot potted transplant from a local source on March 1st and plant it. If it died back that winter I would leave it in place and expect no die back the next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of mine

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Usually bought in a pot because it does not move well.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

IMHO, the cultivar that I have seen that I personally liked best was Forum. INTENSELY green leaves, and fall color that can't be beat.
    Wildfire is supposed to grow faster than species IIRC, but I can't verify this with personal experience. Wildfire is locally the most commonly seen.

Arktrees

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

If you have humidity you'll want 'Haymanred' aka Red Rage.

Leaf spot is a common leaf issue with this plant. My species plant has been riddlled by it for the past three years.

I'm sure experience varies but this is the only cutlivar I've seen advertised as leaf spot resistant. I'd at least try the culitvars that are known to be resistant to a common disease first.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Mine does have some spots on its leaves.

Its still a bit red even in poor light.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whaas, does Red Ridge also have the red colored new growth?

Is the leaf spot bad enough to defoliate the trees?

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Errr..."Red RAGE" I should say.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toronado, I can't tell from the pic, but did you prune it back down to one leader this year?? I can't tell if it's still multistemmed.