Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bazookaduke

Help with trees in new houe.

bazookaduke
10 years ago

My wife and I recently purchased our first home. We are very excited. We have moved in and are getting settled. We started to do some yard improvements. We have a tree, or several trees, growing in a small section of our yard. There are a number of shoots, 4-6 that are all about the same height. Most of them appear to be apple tree shoots, but the one in the middle appears to be a cherry. I saw a picture of the house from a few years ago and there is only one apple tree in the spot i'm looking. It appears someone got rid of the apple tree and planted a cherry tree instead. However they didn't get rid of all the roots so the suckers are shooting up as new trees. My question: Is my theory correct? What type of trees are these? We would prefer to keep the tree that bears fruit as we love apples but love cherries even more. How do we clean this mess up and have just one tree and not 5. Thank you very much for your time. Apparently I can only upload one picture.

This post was edited by bazookaduke on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 0:09

Comments (4)

• bazookaduke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some other pictures

• bazookaduke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another Picture

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Oh, oh. I'm waiting for ken to come tell you to start over, but he has his own way of doing it. Wait for it.

It might help if you included your area of residence. Not for any NSA benefit (they already know), but for recommendations in the future.

Your theory could be correct. Are you sure it is a cherry and not a plum? There's a zillion kinds of apples, cherries and plums, etc., so assuming it is an apple and not a crab apple, you still don't know what you have. Ditto on the cherry. Might be a sour cherry (for baking), might be a cherry planted for the bloom and the fruit is hardly edible. Lots of might be's.

So far as separating the trees, if buying the house means you have zero dollars left for greenery, then go for it. Doing the job in late winter would yield best results. What you do is dig a pit, separate the roots, then bury them where you want them. Me? I would tell dad or mom or uncle Jim or best bro to give me a gift certificate for ABC nursery for birthday/Christmas/Hannakuh/ [put your holiday here]. That would allow you to plant what you want, where you want it. Life's too short to live with somebody else's gardening mistakes.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

first off.. get the pole with garroting wire out of there ...

second.. an alleged fruit tree.. suckering from the roots is a useless.. waste of time ... and trying to save or renovate it.. is.. well.. useless ..

listen to me.. at my first house.. i wasted 5 years.. trying to save and renovate.. every problem plant left by prior owners... and the happiest day of that project.. was 5 years later.. when i got rid of the last one ...

at my second house. they were all cut flush within 20 minutes of the first day in tne garden .. saving me 5 years of pain and torture. mine.. not the plants .. lol ...

finally... your base problem is that most of the fruit trees... both flowering and production are prunus .... and you really dont know if you have decorative or actual fruit trees... and do be aware.. that many fruit trees are usually grafted to non-producing root stock ...

play to your hearts desire ... but dont make presumptions that you will be sitting on your patio.. eating fruit ... unless you are prepared to do a vigorous spraying campaign ...

if you insist.. or dream of producing fruit.. go buy a couple fruit trees.. and dont waste time... trying to save the UNKNOWN ...

finally.. there is a fruit forum.. and MAYBE those peeps can ID your plants.. or give suggestions for easy to grow premier fruit trees.. for your area ... stuff form the bigboxstore is usually not such ... and you dont even know where they came from ...

i hope i didnt let dzit down.. lol ..

good luck with your new garden .... and do whatever brings you pleasure ....

ken

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!