Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outdoorbudky

Golden Chain Tree. Help Needed

outdoorbudky
13 years ago

I have a golden chain tree that is around 6 years old and it has never bloomed. Does anyone have any idea why it hasn't bloomed? If anyone can offer any tips at all that would be great. My email is dfieds81@gmail.com if anyone can help me out.

Comments (22)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Raised from seed? Misidentified? In the shade?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

hey bud

lack of flowering.. on a tree that should be flowering.. is usually associated with too much shade ...

or too much nitrogen ...

both thing tend to force the plant into making green leaves over producing flowers ...

lack of full sun should be plain as day ....

too much nitro .. can be a function of having the tree in the middle of the lawn ... and using lawn fert ...

frankly ... IMHO.. trees NEVER need fertilization ...

now.. other than that speculation.. you really havent given us any facts ... other than lack of flowers... can you tell us anything else about the tree ...

ken

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Does anyone have any idea why it hasn't bloomed?

Not with the information provided.

Dan

• bonniebudall
    13 years ago

the above comment regarding fertilizer has me stumped - seriously why NOT fertilize?

13 years ago

seriously why NOT fertilize?

Decades of research conclusions finding issues with fertilization.

Dan

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

One size fits all statements are never going to apply to fertilization. Each situation is different. All kinds of garden plants may need particular nutrients to be supplemented at one time or another. On cultivated soils in coastal regions like mine nitrogen is often deficient. I did some nitrogen fertilization to some plants this summer and boy did it make a difference. So THAT'S what the problem was! Duh!

Interior regions may have large areas of soils with a phosphorus deficiency. Heavily leached outer coastal soils may also present this limitation.

13 years ago

Surely deficiencies need to be corrected. But fertilizing established trees is a waste of money if no deficiencies are present. In this particular case, a fert recommendation would be a waste of money. Far better to find a tolerant tree.

Dan

• outdoorbudky
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have the trees planted in full sun two are planted on a very mild slope and two are planted on flat ground. I dont fertilize my lawn at all. they are planted in very fertile soil. I have about three feet of topsoil where these plants are. I was told by someone that it might be too hot here where I live. I live in KY. Could there be any truth to that?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Fertilization should be used when a soil test indicates the need or when signs of deficiency are present. Fertilization should not be used as a snake-oil cure for whatever ails your tree or shrub. If in doubt, don't fertilize. Improper fertilization is likely to do more harm than good.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

If the tree is doing well other than not flowering, I wouldn't expect the heat to be the problem. I'm not familiar with how long it normally takes a Laburnum anagyroides to sexually mature, but that may be the issue. Maybe someone will chime in with a guess as to when the average golden chain tree flowers, or you could do a Google search and see if something comes up.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Usually what we see here are grafted L. x watereri already at flowering size. One or two grafted upright forms have also made limited appearances at local outlets.

13 years ago

Could there be any truth to that?

Not in KY - ATL or MS maybe.

From info provided sounds like they aren't sexually mature yet. If, after 3-4 more years they don't flower, call the Extension Agent as they are genetic mutants and someone will want to study them. Dirr sez that they need afternoon shade and a particular cv - 'Vossii' rarely bloomed in certain tests & high nighttime temps perhaps an issue.

Dan

• viburnumvalley
    13 years ago

outdoorbudky:

I was told by someone that it might be too hot here where I live. I live in KY.

I think there definitely could be some truth to that. It depends a bit on where you garden in KY (long state, east to west, and some higher elevations and moisture conditions - all these could definitely impact a genus like Laburnum).

The high soil temps routinely encountered in many parts of KY, the generally long droughty season experienced annually, and a dearth of successful specimens even in well known collections like Bernheim, Cave Hill, Yew Dell, etc. are pretty good indications that this plant is not quite at home in this region.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try. There are many fine gardeners and excellent plantsmen that have preceded you in killing this one.

You didn't say whether you knew with any precision which Laburnum you have. I'm with bboy's sentiment that most Goldenchain Tree that one would find for purchase will be a grafted clone.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I can't help you with the suitability of the climate of Kentucky but Laburnum is a very common and foolproof tree in British gardens which shows you the kind of conditions it thrives in. Cool, damp summers and mild winters. Indeed it is now rather out of favour having been planted a great deal in the late 20th century. The link shows the laburnum tunnel at Bodnant gardens, Wales. (Even cooler and wetter than the most of the UK)

Here is a link that might be useful: Laburnum tunnel

13 years ago

Dirr is clear that several of the Laburnum that are likely choices in this thread are a Z 5-7 plant and not for deep south conditions. As the OP has stated they are in Z6, if this is correct climate per se not a factor.

Dan

• viburnumvalley
    13 years ago

And I'll only quibble with you, dan, in that you know very well that all Z 5-7 are not created equal.

Review the USDA zone maps, and see what regions are considered Z6. Not alike at all, except for the minimum temperature range.

Low temperature range does not climate make...

13 years ago

VV, of course. With the paucity of information provided, all we can do is speculate and give good enough speculation for any future visitors finding this thread via a search result.

Dan

• viburnumvalley
    13 years ago

Amen.

• outdoorbudky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It doesn't get the afternoon sun and I bought it as a sapling. It had 3 blooms on it this year but that's it. Do you think that it might get too hot here in KY?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

KY has a variety of climates, so it would help if you could be a little more specific about which quandrant of the state and your elevation. But I personally think heat is not a factor. (now if you were in Memphis, TN, it might be) My purported 'Vossii' from Forestfarm has grown about 2' in each of the past 3 hot summers here on the east coast. It does get afternoon shade and most of the successful seeming trees I've seen in the Mid-Atlantic region do. I believe this tree was once even planted in Richmond, VA, hence the "Laburnum Ave." there.
    As with many Fabaceae their roots can be a little cranky and should be carefully handled when planted. I'd only try to establish it from a small, not pot bound container. Maybe B&B would work in the PNW but it would definitely be a no no east of the Rockies. Also, again, as is the case for many a marginal plant, they probably want better soil than run of the mill red clay. I know of a particularly nice one in NJ very close to the Delaware river, on sandy-silty soil. (but at the most elevated part of the garden, so not subject to flooding)

BTW my grafted plant from Forestfarm was

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Fri, May 3, 13 at 11:34

• Garden Time 6B Boise Idaho
    8 years ago

I believe that this tree is susceptible to late freezes damaging flower buds and thus hurting blooms.

• margaretnoddi
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have had my tree for about 6 years. It has flowered only 3 times. Why? The foliage is healthy. I live in the north west of England.