Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fringe tree in upstate ny

Posted by slice4444 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 0:26

I was in South Carolina this past summer and I bought a small fringe tree. When I got home to Syracuse, NY I planted it in my garden bed because the tag said "zone 4 - 9" and I'm in 5b. But after doing some research, I saw an article that said it won't survive north of central NY so apparently, I'm right on the edge.
My question is should I wrap it with something this winter (or protect it otherwise) just to make sure it survives? We get quite a bit of snow here and it will surely be buried completely from probably late December - late February.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fringe tree in upstate ny

how small is it???

that is can be buried in snow cover???

snow cover will probably give you one zone..

and a rose cone also ... until you outgrow it ...

death in winter is RARELY ... temp alone .... which is basically what zone is ... you have to mix in winter winds.. winter drought.. improper planting.... and winter sun ... [and note.. many of those are solved by snow cover] ...

ken

o
RE: fringe tree in upstate ny

So ok I'm trying to understand your reply. The tree is about 4' tall. But it's by my house and driveway so snow collects there as it falls off the roof and driveway gets shoveled. It will definitely get buried. I'm in zone 5a actually... So you say that snow will give you one zone. That may be the case but I'm still in zone 5a and I still read that these trees don't grow north of where I live. I can look into the rose cone idea but I don't know how big they come. I see your point that the snow can actually be beneficial because it gives the tree water and protects from cold winds. Thanks for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here