Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deciduous Dogwood (Cornus Capitata)

Posted by Tommygun66 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 0:44

I have two of these trees in my garden and despite all the beautiful pictures I have seen on the web mine look nothing like this. They are tall (approx. 10M) and very leggy with limited foliage only appearing on the highest branches. There is not a single lateral branch on the trunk below 6 metres. The previous owners haven't looked after them and they have probably been starved of water & have been planted in a shady position - hence their leggy nature. Aside from creating more light I want to know if I can hard prune these back in the winter to approx. 6M or 2/3.Its fairly drastic but otherwise the trees have no shape and sparce foliage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deciduous Dogwood (Cornus Capitata)

a picture would be worth a thousand words... if i understand your premise.. you want to 'top' a 30 foot plus tree.. to about 18 feet ... i just cant conceptualize such.. w/o a pic ...

and probably get you an ID ... if your ID might be off ... are you sure on it???

you might mention in future posts.. that you are in Australia ...

ken

o
RE: Deciduous Dogwood (Cornus Capitata)

FWIW, c. capitata is normally an evergreen dogwood and rather tender below zone 8. it has sometimes been "confused" by both taxonomists and nursery people as a form of c. kousa (a deciduous species) and with the usually evergreen but hardier c. kousa ssp. angustata (aka c. angustata OR c. elliptica). in any case, if you have a leggy tree, you MIGHT have the result of trees being planted too close together and the resulting competition for both space and light making the trees tall and sparse and/or not enough summer water causing drought stress (all these plants come from summer wet areas of china and japan). hope this helps. good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here