Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's going on with my sycamores here?

Posted by jowall Z6 Nashville TN (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 0:47

Hello again.

So after another fantastic growing season, I noticed a good smattering of the leaves on each of my two sycamores start to turn yellow and brown. They're almost identical to each other.

I'd say I noticed a few a couple of weeks ago. I then went on vacation and came back and the turn had advanced to where they are today.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Take a look. First closer up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's going on with my sycamores here?

• Posted by jowall Z6 Nashville TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 0:49

And now one from a bit further away.

As you can see it is really the interior leaves that are more affected than the outside and the tips of the branches

o

Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 0:58

Here is what one of them looked like at the end of June. Between then and now, I did prune of a couple of small lower limbs off of each of them, but it was pretty light pruning and the wounds appear to be healing well.

o

Cool nights and warm, dry days. The tree "thinks" it's Autumn. I wouldn't worry about it.

o

They all seem to do that, every year.

Not sure why.

o

Pretty common for sycamores here to that in August.

o

Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 14:05

Thanks. Just seemed early. If this were 2-3 weeks later I wouldn't have thought twice.

o

Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 14:06

Also. Doesn't seem to be happening in bigger more mature trees in the neighborhood.

o

It is a wetland tree, isn't it? It might not get enough water to keep all its leves, standing in a lawn. Do wild growing trees also lose leaves now?

o

Even the wild ones here are doing that. This includes many growing on a riverbank close to me. My London plane still is green though. We have been getting alot of rain lately, about 1 and 1/2 months straight. Having rain at least every 3-4 days. June was our last dry spell, and only 2 weeks in June.

o

@ poaky1, You had unusually cool nights for July, no?

o

Anthracnose? http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02930.html

o

Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 10:50

Several very cool nights in July.

I believe anthracnose is a spring early summer deal. Not the case here I don't think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here