Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New house and a mystery tree

Posted by joshfromseattle WA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 0:52

Hope I am using this forum correctly. With my first house just purchased, I now have my first real opportunity to start a bit of gardening. My first order of business is to identify what appears to be a young tree. I've searched and searched to no avail. I pretty certina it's a common tree, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is. Any help in identifying it and maybe some caretaking tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm in Seattle and the tree gets direct southern and eastern exposure.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New house and a mystery tree

My first posting and I promptly mispell and even leave a few words out. I'm going to blame lack of sleep while camping this weekend. Add to it the sideways pics and I've really started off in a hole!

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 1:19

looks like a redbud

o

Very common tree there. Might need supplemental water in July and August-Sept depending on when rain returns. Leave hose out at a trickle for several hours.

Dan

o

Redbud it is! Thanks. Follow up question...in all the photos of any redbud tree I see online they all have multiple splits right at the base of the tree. This one has one strong trunk. Is this a particular kind of redbud?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 11:31

Shrubbier ones like Chinese redbud are often low-forking. Common redbud often has a trunk and can be seen planted as a street tree in Seattle. For more about redbuds here see Jacobson, Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (2006).

o

Hello Josh and welcome aboard.

Yours could have just been pruned to a single trunk form. There are some each way on my street.

o

cant believe i am going to be the latin cop

Cercis canadensis L. (Eastern Redbud) ... not the Chinese

they grow as trees.. unless damaged early in life ...

check out the link ...

welcome to GW ... dont fret about the typing.. after all.. look how i do it.. lol ...

should have a beautiful early spring bloom ... very subtle...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Lucky you! A beautiful redbud. I was left with what is either a Cleveland or Aristocrat pear--who cares which, it is horrible.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 16:09

Speaking of holes your tree has one, a major branch apparently having snapped off.

I didn't say the tree shown was a Chinese redbud.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here