Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jqpublic_gw

What's eating Quercus coccinea (gilbert grape)?

jqpublic
10 years ago

Hi fellow tree-o-philes,

Here's my Scarlet Oak in May. I planted this guy at my parents' house 4 years ago. It's about 6'-8' tall. That is sedum autumn joy planted at it's base.

{{gwi:364109}}

Sometime between the end of July and yesterday these caterpillars began feasting on the poor little bugger. It has already set buds for next year so I feel like I'm just sacrificing it's leaves to nature and it'll re-sprout fine next year. Is there anything I should worry about? Mind you the 2-3 brown skeletonized leaves were eaten much earlier in the year by something else (those aren't webs). The caterpillars on the other hand have left nothing but the main leaf veins. The only thing I have noticed this year is the abundance of rain, which may have in turn made it prime caterpillar season. We're a good 8" above average since 6/1/13.

What say you? Is it a goner or just an eyesore til spring? I'm a little bummed that I won't be seeing it's bright red coloration this fall though.

{{gwi:406347}}

{{gwi:406348}}

Comments (6)

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Yikes!
    I'm not an entomologist, and could be way off base - but this is the first year in recent memory that I've not had forest tent caterpillars totally defoliate most of the young bur and bur-hybrid oaks in yard and along my driveway - they'll do it virtually overnight, and seem to feed at night, and disappear into the grass during the daylight hours - only once or twice have I managed to catch one of 'em "in the act".
    But, at my place, they usually hit shortly after initial leaf-out; the trees releaf and have the rest of the season to recoup.

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help! I was hoping to get more responses...this has to be THE ideal "help" post...hehe

I did some sleuthing and have narrowed it down to Anisota peigleri (Yellowstriped Oakworm). What do you all think?

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

That's as good a guess as any. I had a good look at your photo the other day and my first thought was walnut caterpillar or yellownecked caterpillar, but those two don't match the ones you have. Chances are the tree will releaf before the end of the season. A healthy dose of Bt would have taken care of them if you had noticed them feeding, but like lucky_p says, they do work fast.

Make a note in your calendar for next year.Start looking for them in mid-July, or whenever your Extension service reports sightings. Your service would probably be Clemson.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Not a goner. Should be fine come spring. I have one small tree they did the same thing to this year. No big deal.

• saccharum
    10 years ago

Given your location, it's somewhat more likely to be the very similar orangestriped oakworm (Anisota senatoria), although I wouldn't rule out either one. I agree with the others - there's a good chance it will releaf this year, and even if not, it's not necessarily a goner.

This post was edited by saccharum on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 16:02

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great news! Of course I pull into my driveway today and notice my willow oak is under a similar siege. I wonder if the HOA will come and take a look at it :(