Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicaho2012

Is it time to chop down my tree?

jessicaho2012
9 years ago

We moved into our home a year ago, and the contractor put in two trees on our property. I have since planted several other trees in various places in my yard.
In our front yard, one of the trees the contractor put in, as well as the eastern redbud that I planted there have both struggled. My redbud seems to be getting over the shock, and is growing new leaves, and seems like it will survive. However, the tree the contractor put in is not doing well at all.
Last summer, it dropped it's leaves, but this was right before fall, so I figured I'd water it like I did the others, and see how it did in the spring. When spring came around, the very top of the canopy got leaves, stayed a few weeks, and then dropped, looking completely dead. When I do the "scratch" test, it's still green on the trunk, but still no leaves, and looks horrible in our yard-- especially considering the other trees seem to be doing fine. I've been giving it water, but not too much, it gets plenty of sun, and I've mulched it and fertilized it. Grass seems to love to grow there, despite the 3 inches of mulch.
I can't decide if I should give up on the tree now, (it's probably 15 feet tall or so) or if I should give it another year to see what it does next season.
Any suggestions on what I could do it nurse it back, or how to test the soil there to see what's going on before I replant another tree? I'd hate to doom another tree to the same fate. :( I'll post a pic in the morning of the tree and of the other one of the same species that seems to be doing great.

Comments (3)