Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching Around Trunks of Large, Mature Trees

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 1:41

I'm wondering what the knowledgeable folks here say about mulching around large, mature trees, like the Sugar Maple in the photo? My main reason is to avoid mower/tractor damage, but also cover areas that grass, etc. does not grow in.

Thanks,

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching Around Trunks of Large, Mature Trees

Mulch away. Just avoid direct contact with the bark.

o

i would just roundup the grass and be done with it ...

a big gob of mulch.. is just going to look like a unfinished garden bed..

and do not delude yourself.. that you will get much of anything to grow there.. if grass is not competing.. not much else will ...

just spray a 3 or 4 foot circle.. and any large snaking roots.. so you can see them and miss them with the john deere ...

there is much to be said with simply barren soil and the root flare.. somewhat aesthetic on and of itself ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: just the pic.. i didnt read the page ...

o

Thanks, I wond3red about how/if the mulch would affect the large roots and possibly cause rot. Part of the reason I ask is because in the tree in the photo, the amount of soil around the root flare has diminished due to rain, wind, etc. I've no plans to plant anything under them, though some of the trees did have hostas or grass growing happily around that area when I bought the house.

vince

o

first off.. round up has no effect on exposed roots or bark ... no green there..

BUT!!!!! ... if you have scarred the roots with the mower ... do NOT hit such with roundup ... use a paintbrush.. and do not touch the wound ...

trunks rot.. when underground.. i like to think.. they are made for air .. not long term damp ...

roots .. are made for soil.. and that includes damp soil.. they do not rot ... even once exposed ... even when inundated for short term flood ... [those trees fall over due to loss of soil tension.. rather than roots rotting fast ...]

when it all boils down.. i guess i would rather see the roots.. than what will end up looking like a pile of mulch ... you just wont gain anything with a plain 8 foot circle of mulch ...

ken

ps: surprised you arent contemplating moving it.. lol ...

o

Vince remove the sod carefully by hand to past the dripline the roundup can damage roots so never use it around trees. Remember the damage might not show up till later down the road. Trees will suffocate if soil stays wet too long and excess water in the root zone does and will encourage rot and disease. Mulch to about 3 inches. Oh yeah if you were mowing up to the base of the tree on a john deere then you could fit underneath and yes stuff can grow under it with the light. Mulch 2" and not against the trunk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here