Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this variegated small tree or shrub

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 1:43

Found several of this one during a quick trip through MOBOT today. None of them were labeled which means I really should know what they are lol.

Sorry for only one view. Last one I saw I had the Mrs take a couple pics since the kid was one my shoulders.

All them were waste high at most. Any idea what they are?

photo 20130821_163902_zps57e48d3a.jpg

photo 20130821_163907_zps59642ebc.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this variegated small tree or shrub

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 1:51

Variegated form of Schefflera arboricola.

o

Thanks for being FAST with the answer.

Google pics of Schefflera arboricola sure looks like it. MOBOT's website lists it as zones 10 to 12. Would they really plant that outside just to haul it back in during the winter?

o

bboy - I bow to your knowledge as always, but this doesn't look like Schefflera to me. The leaflets don't have the individual petioles which Schefflera has. This is especially clear in the top picture.

I would suggest Variegated Tapioca (Manihot esculenta) used as summer bedding. Not hardy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manihot esculenta

o

Flora's got it - most definitely variegated tapioca!! (and the only way I can tolerate tapioca - as a plant :-))

o

Amazing, same result, put it in a pot or grow it as an annual. This one sure is an attention getter.

Just the fact you all know this much about plants which are not hardy here amazes me.

Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOBOT

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 15:33

Yes, the leaf shape is wrong - I didn't see that before.

o

Definitely Manihot. not hardy in St. Louis, but makes a great 'annual'. I can be dug and kept in greenhouse over winter. I kept one one winter, but they get too large after a while.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here