Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Tall Trees at Bowers Museum in Anaheim

tammypie
10 years ago

Hello,

Today I visited the Bowers Museum for the first time. Located in Anaheim, CA. Outside are these 2 really tall trees off of N. Main and E. 20th Streets. Trees that look like Norfolk Island Pines in the distance. They have very thick trunks.

What kind of trees are they?

thanks, TammyPie

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

call the museum.. or provide a pic.. otherwise.. your guess is as good as ours ...

maybe you could find them on a street view.. and link us to a pic that way ....

ken

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

Marshmallow tree? take a bite into the trunk and let us know.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously, lkz5ia, do you have to be a smart@ss?!

• tammypie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Ken, maybe YOU can use google earth and ZOOM down on the corner of Main and E. 20th Street. Get a street view and YOU TELL ME WHAT KIND OF TREE IT IS.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Probably the same place I noticed when I was down there this past winter (we drove past some blocks away and did not stop). The web says it is on main street in Santa Ana. Internet photos show more than one species of Araucaria on the museum grounds. The one(s) that look like poodles are probably A. cunninghamii. If any A. heterophylla are there they should have at least a proportion of long branches with triangular foliage sections, giving the appearance of paddles. In Hawaii this species is confused with A. columnaris, which is much more prevalent there. The latter tends to produce branches of uniform length and to lean to the side, so that it resembles the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Balboa Park has an Araucaria arboretum with multiple different species, unfortunately not labeled and comparatively young.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

tammiepie, aren't ya the sweetest.

I guess my pic is of the right trees. They sure do look tall

If it is not let me know and maybe I can use the google image search of the place's website and dig up (pun intended) the pics for you lol.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Hey Ken, maybe YOU can use google earth

==>> why in the world would i waste my precious time .... when it wasnt even worth YOUR own effort .... you could have done it in the time it took you to be snarky ... toro did ...

crikey

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

In the last picture the one on the left would be the A. cunninghamii (or other species with a poodle aspect) and the other two would be the A. heterophylla type. Since the two of the same kind are thin it is not obvious to me which species they are, the uniform branch length could imply A. columnaris and the shape of the sprays might fit that one also. Anyway, those are a couple that I have seen planted repeatedly in such settings elsewhere, the genus has ~19 species including ones that look generally like one another.

For additional comments from people focused on conifers (which Araucaria is an example of) you might like to try the GardenWeb Conifers forum.

This post was edited by bboy on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 13:30

• tammypie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Ken,

Get smart with me, after I ask an honest, polite inquiry and I'll treat you the same. Pretty childish of you and others. Geesh.

Thanks, Toro. Those are the trees I was referring to.

• jqpublic
    10 years ago

Just a guess. Araucaria cunninghamii .

Don't yell at me if I'm wrong...I thought y'all were laid back on the west coast. Can't take a little friendly ribbing?

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I believe the correct stereotype in play here, JQ, is the hyperoffended paranoid mindset of a prototypical far left of center California citizen. I don't see how anything Ken said could be taken as offensive.

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 7:50

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

I think they are A. bidwillii, not cunninghamii.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Actually Tammy, you asked for help, and then expected everyone to do everything for you with no effort of your own. Doesn't really work that way. Many people are happy to help, but few here will help you if you throw a tantrum, or refuse to do anything to help yourself. Oh, and you may think you pass for polite in Southern Cal, but you pass for something else in the south.

Arktrees

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I suggested A. cunninghamii (or similar) for the one on the left in the last picture, not the other two of the same kind - which now that you mention it, do have the frond shape of bunya-bunya. I expect that to have a more robust aspect with a broader top, so I did not think of it. If we had been looking at better views of the trees it would have been more apparent what they were.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously, Arktrees? You spend your time putting me down. In fact, I happen to contribute to a lot of these forums, just that I'm no expert on google earth and posting pics here. Seems you'd rather give me sh*t for it. In Southern CA, we have a name for people like you and I'm not going to post it. Maybe you can figure it out on your own.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you good folks for mature answers on this beautiful tree. I shall read up on these trees more. It's a shame some people have to put their .02 in without contributing useful information but get cute over what?

• tammypie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

j0nd03 7b AR, far left?!!!! Please, stay in Arkansas, your mind is about as small as the town you live in!

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Thinking more about it the sprays of A. columnaris are "hands up", as are those of the similar A. heterophylla; the "hands down" orientation of the two trees of the same species shown above, in combination with the foliage being out on the ends of down-sweeping branches would pretty much have to be A. bidwillii.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler