Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!!!! Dogwood with anthracnose

Posted by gardenapprentice TN Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 3:02

Last April my aunt brought a Cornus Florida dogwood, planted in full sun. It had a very minor case of spot anthracnose. I usually take care of it, but I left for vacation for 2 months with some family still at home, I came back yesterday to find the tree have full fledged anthracnose on at least 90% of the tree, the crown is possibly dead, but alas I see some buds forming for next years growth, at this point, what should I do for this tree? I have no clue as if my aunt will get a new one ( this is her first time with dogwoods)

Note: Since I see the buds forming will the leaves look the same as this years leaves or if the weather is more pleasant will the leaves at most have slight anthracnose, and what can I do to get rid of the anthracnose

I will post pics tommorrow hopefully

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!!!! Dogwood with anthracnose

Sad to say, there's very little that can be done once an anthracnose infection has reached the extent indicated in your post. If you've experiencing a cooler and wetter than normal spring/summer like much of the southeast, you've had ideal conditions for fungal infection. Probably you need to resign yourself to the loss of this tree. Replanting with an anthracnose resistant variety plus preventative spraying is likely your best course.

o

the only thing i can offer.. is to suggest that you post some pix...

and confirm your ID of the problem ... i dont understand how you say the crown is dead.. but budding out.. which leads me to think.. just maybe.. the ID is off ....

and if you mean this last april.. what does the seller have to say about it .... other than trying to sell you cures ... of which i would not spend money...

ken

o

Akamain: thx for the help, I can part with it, because once it dies we will get a new one early spring.

Ken: the tree is c Florida, we haven't talked to the seller we probably only had a one year guarantee, last April when it had spot anthracnose I did not know what it was and thought it was fine, when I said the crown was dead I meant the leaves are all off and I don't see any buds formed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here