Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this strange fruit

Posted by matt62 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 4:31

I live near the Northern Kwa- Zulu Natal coast and this tree is growing in a neighbor's garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this strange fruit

you might want to try the tropical fruit forum.. or the fruit forum ...

ken

o

There is a "Name That Plant" forum here on Gardenweb. I've seldom seen the experts there stumped. If you haven't tried posting there, that's where you'll probably have the best luck.

If it's indigenous, you might be able to find it in a Palgrave's "Trees of Southern Africa". Your library should have a copy. Or maybe try contacting Kirstenbosch and see if they can help.

o

My first guess was a Combretum but the appearance is not quite right. Someone will know.

o

Medlar?

o

Oh, Come on guys that is Medlar.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 9:48

NOT medlar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here