Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange object on a birch tree

Posted by Eddie555 none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 6:33

Has anyone any idea what this could be? I found it on a birch tree in the forest this morning. I suspect it's some kind of fungus but I've never seen this one before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange object on a birch tree

Looks like a mass of fungi to me. It's very similar in appearance to the 'dog vomit' fungus that appears on mulch piles.
Place below...is where another erupted. I'd say the birch probably has a rotten heart.

This post was edited by dbarron on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 6:42

o

I'd say the birch probably has a rotten heart.

==>>> interesting way to state it..

nearly poetic...

may i steal it??? .. the phrase.. i mean ...

ken

o

You may, sir, just remember where you got it from though :)

o

Agree-it does resemble the slime molds, but probably isn't, way up the trunk of a tree like that. And also likely, the notion that there is some decay in the tree.

Not at all out of the norm-paper birch don't last especially long-for a tree-in some less than perfect settings.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here