Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddiebuck

Hybrid Poplar Leader Establishment

eddiebuck
10 years ago

Back in March I planted some 4 ft poplar saplings.They are growing fine and are about 6 feet tall now.

However two have the top leader growing out at a 90 degree angle.Maybe I waited to late to prune. Seems to me its to much of an angle to try to straighten by tying to the stake.
What do you folks recommend for me to do in order to have a straight tree?Cut that one off and try another bud?If so should I wait till its dormant?? thanks eb

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

cut it just above a bud..

all trees will releader ...

i would do it.. anytime i walked by with the saw ... or pruning shears ....

you might have to go back in spring and retard secondary to tertiary leaders .. but so what.. that is what having young aggressive trees.. is all about ...

after the cut.. i would probably split the cutting.. and see what was inside... failure like that might be a borer ... if in fact.. they affect poplars ...

stick 6 to 8 inch cuttings in a pot of moist media.. and put it in shade.. and in a month.. you will have a new rooted poplar... .or a dead stick.. lol ... not sure the very green tips will root before they rot.. but the more mature stuff will ...

only a pic will change my mind .... and should have been where you started this post ... seeing is understanding ... otherwise.. wing it ...

ken

• eddiebuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here you go and thanks..{{gwi:407777}}

10 years ago

yepp ...

just snip it above the left branch ...

if and when the tree has a foot thick trunk ... in about 60 minutes or so.. lol ...

that kink will be unnoticeable ... ergo.. ignore it.. let the tree deal with it.. rather than rigging up some cabling.. etc ...

i grew these for 5 years ... and the 5th year.. was the last moment when i could take them all down with my own chainsaw ... and still have room for them to fall down safely ... and i did that.. due to disease.. and breakage ....

but what i did in the mean time... was plant some quality heirloom trees .... and by the time these were ready to go.. i had some nice oaks ... birch.. and tulip poplar going full bore ...

enjoy the process.. but do think.. long and hard.. about the fact that.. in tree years.. these are very short lived ...'

ken

ps: every time i snipped some branches... i stuck some 12 to 18 inch cutting straight into my sand.. about 6 to 8 inches in ... and i dont know.. maybe half took .... with no after care ....

ken

• eddiebuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rest of my property is loaded with oak and tulip poplar some three feet in diameter,and I'm fiddling with these HP sticks lol.
    I guess its the challenge of growing something different.I'll cut it just above that left limb and go from there.Don't get tooo far from the phone though.I might be needing some advice on how low to cut when I fire up my chainsaw.Lol. Thanks Ken

till later eb

10 years ago

I'm fiddling with these HP sticks lol.

==>>> good enough for me...

and no sentimental attachment... super ...

at the end.. one basal cut at ground level.. and treat with RU or stump killer.. and you will spend two year killing the suckers that will pop up everywhere ....

have fun learnin..

ken

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

Sometimes it is just wonderful to grow trees that can take care of themselves. I planted some hybrid poplars last year in a remote part of my property. Lets see if they will outgrow the willow bushes and the hungry mooses. If they do that is great, if they don't that is still all right.