Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molie_gw

How tall does Cornus Kousa 'Wolf Eyes' get?

molie
13 years ago

I'd love to hear about your experiences growing this tree because, sadly, I did a bad thing. I purchased a 'Wolf Eyes' because I fell in love at first sight. The tag said... slow growing to 6 feet.... Hmmm, I thought... what a nice foundation specimen!

So I bought it, planted it, and then I did my research. (I know... I know ... sounds like a novice gardener but, no, I've been doing this for 40 years.) I've read such conflicting reports on its eventual size, ranging from 8ft to 15ft in height and spread. Does anyone have experience growing this tree? I'd really appreciate an eyewitness account on the growth habit of 'Wolf Eyes' before I move it this fall.

Thanks,

Molie

Comments (10)

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

I went through the same exercise...bottomline is that your tree will grow somewhere between 8' and 20'.

I think the range has to do with its slow growth and potential high mortality rate once inflicted with anthracnose.

The only way to help close the gap in that range is to find out from someone in YOUR area.

Same applied to Korean Maple, heights ranged from 10-25'! Finally I found out from sources in my area that it will hit about 15'.

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

My single specimen of 'Wolf Eyes' was planted five or six years ago as a 4 foot tree. It's now around 7.5 feet tall. In the first few years it grew very slowly, but has accelerated in the last couple of years. Last year's record rainfall summer caused it to put on at least 1.5 feet of growth.

To me, the strength of this variety is its ability to thrive in quite dense shade where it really lights up the area. Shade also protects the white leaf margins from browning and crisping.

If your tree is in a good spot, I wouldn't bother to move it. Pruning should easily keep it at a reasonable height.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Not a dwarf, should make 15'-35' (or larger) small tree like other Kousa dogwoods. If you figure average growth 1' per year then that times so many years is how long before it is so tall.

When not crowded Kousa dogwoods grow nearly as wide to wider than tall.

Annual height increase of trees and shrubs stops when specimen is dead or dying. These do not grow rapidly to a set height and then come to a complete halt. The exception is bamboos.

• molie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences. Whaas, I understand the logic of your tip to check with people in my area because that's quite a height range. I'm sure that the planting environment and weather will play a large part in our tree's growth.

Southern CT does not get the deep snows as you, Mainegrower, but we do get the same periods of long rainfall. Right now the tree is on the east side of the house and only gets morning light.... we'll have to think about this move.

Most definitely I will research anthracnose.

Molie

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

It IS considered a rather slow growing, more compact, even shrubby form of Chinese dogwood. The parent tree (Manor View Farm, MD) is only around 10' tall so no reason to assume clones will grow significantly larger. Chinese dogwoods overall tend to have greater disease resistance (anthracnose in particular) than our native species but some cultivars demonstrate greater resistance than others. And problems with diseases are likely more regionally oriented than not.

While considered to be pretty resistant to sun scorch, 'Wolf Eyes' tends to have very narrow foliage that is typically somewhat folded and undulated, especially in summer, and this feature may provide additional protection from sun damage.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Propagules could be invigorated by seedling rootstocks. Specimens multiple feet tall, of normal-looking structure have been offered at outlets here.

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Mine is in full sun and does extactly what gardengal48 mentioned. It folds and doesn't scortch...and its been a pretty bad summer regards 90 degree days.

• richredhead_bluestreakme_com
    12 years ago

I acquired my Wolf eyes dogwood 4 yrs ago and it is slow-growing. However, this past year, it has taken off and
    until I googled this tree, I had no idea as to the size. I'm
    concerned if I should be pruning it and where I should be
    making the cuts. I have had all kinds of advice for this, but
    have done nothing as yet. Help in any direction would be
    appreciated. It has a quite free, flowy shape at the present
    time, and is approximately 8 ft tall by 5 ft wide. Thanks.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

How much room did you allow?

Usually this one is wider (or as wide) than tall. If you have pruning concerns at 5' wide perhaps you should transplant next spring.

• JoPierson
    9 years ago

My hydrangeas were lightly pruned in October last year. It is now May in Kansas City, and after a hard winter, they show only green leafy growth at the base of the plants. Should I leave the dead stems or wait to see if new growth buds out on them? Are the plants worth saving this year? It just seems as if they should be showing some growth on the old woody stems by now!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz