Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Trees in my area (Western NY) are already changing color.

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

Hi.

Yesterday, when I drove into town I noticed so many of the maple trees around here, and other trees too, that are already changing to their fall color.

I knew my Burning Bush shrubs were starting to turn color, but I figured that was because of transplant shock, that is until in town I saw other Burning Bush shrubs changing too.

Is it because we had a wet June and a dry July? I just don't recall the color change happening before Sept....

Comments (12)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

We are 20 miles east of Raleigh NC. I have noticed that the Tulip Poplars are startling to drop their leaves.

I believe this is a sign that we should be thinking of the things we need to do this fall,

(Written as we are in the 90's and have above 80% humidity)

My main plan for the fall is to make the second attempt to get grass to grow on my clay and quartz slope

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

It seems here that even in wet years, the Tulip Poplars lose some inner leaves in August. The SLIGHTEST bit of dryness (which could be as little as 2 weeks without a significant rainfall) will cause them to drop them.

Some around here are doing it, mostly those on higher ground, the more low lying are still solid green canopies.

I've ALWAYS seen burning bush show hints of red in July, even established ones...as long as I can remember. They did it in Ohio and they do it here in MD. I just assumed that's "what they do".

Not full on color, but reddish tinges.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Interesting as the oaks around here have just begun pushing out another flush of growth!

The pattern since spring as been cool and wetter than normal in general and I do believe those of us east of the Rockies have a good shot at an early fall if the pattern continues.

Might as well throw up some pics if any of you northerners get a chance. A taste of fall in mid August sounds good to me =)

John

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

We might see some low temps in the upper 40s to low 50s tomorrow night around here FWIW.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

We've been so dry here in SE Texas this summer, only a few showers in July and none that I can recall in Aug, with temps hovering around 100 daily, it's been brutal. There has been some spontaneous yellow leaves popping out around here just lately but I think it's just plants disgruntled with momma nature.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

GV, before I changed my post, I had a disclaimer that Texas was excluded from my statements! Hope that changes for you in the coming weeks as tropical season ramps up. Nothing serious of course =)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

The early coloring has to do with the drought last year.

Sugar maples are turning now as well and they shouldn't.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

LOL John! I envy you all the moisture you folks have had up there (and most of the rest of the country), I was thinking along the same lines though, we'll probably get all of our deficit in a 24 hour period ala some named whirlwind. lol

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've ALWAYS seen burning bush show hints of red in July, even established ones...as long as I can remember. They did it in Ohio and they do it here in MD. I just assumed that's "what they do".

Hairmetal4ever,

Thank you for the heads up on that, as I was convinced they were turning red because of stress.

Whaas,

Why would last year's drought affect when this year's growth turns color? I don't doubt your answer, but I don't understand why a drought from a former year would impact the current year.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

The trees are still under stress from the drought. Even with normal rainfall this year, they may still change early as a result. Takes a couple years to recover from a severe drought like that - reserves have to be replenished, roots may even be damaged a bit and have to re-grow, etc. etc. etc.

• krycek1984
    10 years ago

A few bits of maple here are turning. It seems to happen every year. But it HAS been quite cool here, and rainy.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Many tree species are showing dieback now around here.

Raped again this summer with little rain. July was the 10th driest on record and now given the 10 day forecast, August could end up with two 1/8" rainfalls. Storms are ridiculously scattered.

A couple weeks back 15min south of me got TWO 1" rainfalls. Last week Milwaukee got over 1" and I got a generous 1/8".

Had to break down and ran two sprinklers for 28 hours so far this weekend. Still establishing things with all the plantings being 1 to 3 years old this growing season.

Luckily the temps have remained at average or slightly below average.