Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarasmiles34

When to stake a tree and how long in TN

Sarasmiles34
10 years ago

I need some advice... Please. I just bought and had delivered a large sweet gum tree. It is mature and has fruit so I am assuming 15 years old or so? The Men that delivered it dug a 5 foot wide by 3 1/2 ft hole and dropped it in. flooded the hole with water to the top then buried it. I live in Clarksville tn and our soil here is red clay. I took measurements of the trunk and at the ground it is 16 in and 14 1/2 up to the first set of branches. The rootball was massive and the root system was grown out of the BB sack. I did not even see the BB sack accept in one place.

I asked the nursery workers and they did not speak English and the little girl behind the register answering questions has no clue about gardening she just works there. That is what she said. No JOKE.

My question is Do I stake this large tree or no. My gut tells me yes but I have never planted such a large tree before. and How should I stake it. 3 or 4 of those 5 foot fencing stakes? and how far out should I place the stakes?

I tried to post more than one pic but couldn't figure out how to add more than one

Comments (8)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

We purchased a Nuttal Oak about two years ago. The tree was 14' and about the same diameter as your tree. The company I bought the tree from recommends keeping the tree staked for at least a year

http://www.justrees.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Maintenance-Instr.-_Watering_.pdf

Because of the height, the fact that it is planted on a very exposed location, and the extremely poor soil here in eastern North Caroline (quartz and clay), I plan on removing the straps next spring or after about 2.5 years

• arktrees
    10 years ago

IMHO, proper planting is the biggest concern right now. I bet it planted too deep. Most of the people that plant for nurseries plant too deep, and "landscapers" too. Take a picture of the base of the tree and post it.

As for the original question, what were the dimensions on the rootball. Those get extremely heavy very quickly, and so you may not need to stake at all. Our 15' Scarlet Oak did not need staking at all when planted.

Arktrees

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

You may want to do some current research on tree staking. First, never stake a tree unless you absolutely have to (high winds, inadequate root balls, weak trunk). Second, the tree should be staked for no more than a year (single growing season). Third, make sure the tree is staked correctly.

IMO, a tree that size with a proportionally sized rootball needs NO staking (unless you are living in an urban wind tunnel). Like Ark, I'd be more concerned about planting practices.........a 3 and half foot deep planting hole in a heavy clay soil sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of staking trees

• arktrees
    10 years ago

On an additional note, the numbers the OP gave are probable circumference. The numbers for diameter aka caliper (assuming I'm correct in my assumption of circumference) are 5.1" and 4.6" respectively. Which looks to me about right for the tree in the picture.

Arktrees

• Sarasmiles34
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is a very small amount of mulch on the top of the dirt. the tree has dirt up to the line where the dirt sat on the root ball before.
    As for the size of the rootball... they had to dig the hole wider than the 4 foot that I had originally dug because there is no way it would have fit so I would say as big as that.

Yes I did measure the trunk all the way around with a soft measuring tape. Sorry I am a newbie.

if they buried to deep do I just rake back some dirt?

Thank you sooo much for all your help.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Sara, hostas also huh. You been.reading Ken's posts and trying to follow in his footsteps? Lol.

Far as the rootflare, pull the mulch back and maybe a little soil until you start to see some roots then post a pic. A tree that size I think should have a real flare down by the roots.

As to staking, I always wait also. But I am out there in the storms staring at my trunks to see any soil disturbance lol. So I am not that patient. At least soon it will loose its leaves and start catching less wind.

Don't forget Ken's finger test with watering. Stick your finger into the rootball and make sure the water is getting there and not just the soil around the tree.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

The link below this post should answer many questions about proper planting technique.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Sara,
    Nothing to be sorry for. I just converted to typical measurements for everyone that might be reading this in the future. Not everyone is aware of how to calculate those values.

As for planting. IMHO, it is planted much too deep. Assuming I am correct, I would remove soil over from the top of the entire rootball down to the top level of roots. Probable means you have to move some of those plants. But if you don't, roots suffocate from lack of Oxygen, and trees die.

Arktrees

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES