Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poplar problem Zone 8

Posted by War_Eagle none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 8:29

I have a Tulip Poplar that has some sort of borer....I see small piles of saw dust near base of tree. This tree has been stressed because of new construction. It is massive and I would hate to lose it. What is the recommended pesticide to spray with? It is also losing a lot of leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poplar problem Zone 8

It is probably too late. You might try a systemic like imidicloprid - but success will depend on many things, such as size of tree, uptake of insecticide and how much damage has already been done.

o

It is massive

==>> you need a professional tree doctors opinion ... isa certified

not some online peeps winging it.. w/o pix no less ..

ken

BTW .. it is not a poplar ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ken it is a poplar and not sure how you would know without picture. Got a certified arborist out yesterday and he said in his opinion the tree is gone. I might try imidicloprid....as suggested...what do I have to lose now? Where would I find this? A certain product name?

o

Hey War Eagle,

I am still burning wood from some trees I cut and others I had cut down a few years ago. I know it sucks.

If the pro decided it was not worth trying to sell you a treatment plan because the tree was too far gone I dunno man. Is the tree over your house or anything important to you? If so give it a pretty short leash. Ya got the proper attitude to fit in here and I wanna keep ya coming back.

I guess try to post a pic or two of the damage and one of the whole tree. What Ken was talking about was the scientific name of the tree as it is called something different across every state line it seems.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this what you own?

o

Liriodendron tulipifera......Not over my house but a major "visual" for "framing" my front door. Old pic (few months old) but its the one on the left of the front walk. As I look back at this construction picture....not real happy about the stucco guys using it to lean their scaffolding on. As the arborist told me....too much root damage from front walk and driveway is what weakened it and as a result the borers moved in.

o

FWIW, Ken IS correct - Liriodendron tulipifera is NOT a poplar (Populus species) even though it carries that common name. Not even in the same family.

o

Linnaeus would love you guys!

o

Names aside, your arborist gave you the correct reason for the tree's decline and why the borers moved in.

I suggest you have the tree removed sooner rather than later.

If it goes down -- and it will -- that's a lot of house, and/or people, to damage or kill.

o

A shame. I love polular lirondendron tulip trees, Sylvatica gum.
;)

All kidding aside, if my neighbor did not have one for me to watch grow I wouod have one for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here