Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Tulip Trees?

Posted by wigard 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 8:46

We live on a river with apartments across from us. What we want to do is plant a row of trees that give us some privacy, and our intention is to trim the branches up high enough to be able to see the river without seeing the apartments. We initially were thinking about a couple large trees, but don't want to invade the lawn space that much, so instead are looking at putting in more, smaller trees that each give us about 15 feet or so of spread. One variety we have been hearing about is called a dwarf tulip tree. Does anyone have experience with those, and how quick they grow, how much it takes to maintain them, etc? If you don't recommend that tree, what would *you* recommend? Advice appreciated! We want to get whatever we choose planted this Fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Tulip Trees?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 15:19

There has been one named 'Ardis' but I don't know if anyone is selling it. And if you plant a mini version like this you are not likely to be getting much screening for some time, it being likely to be found as small, short (unless top-grafted) probably comparatively pricey specimens in small quantities - your mention of limbing up suggests you are really after something of more normal initial size and vigor. Maybe something that is quick to develop but not liable to grow real large, such as some kind of flowering crabapple or crape myrtle (not remembering your regional location as I type this).

o

Keep in mind too that full-sized trees do, in one sense, take up less yard space, not more, as compared to smaller-growing ornamental species. The large "shade tree" will at maturity consist of only its trunk down at human activity level while the low-growing fl. crab or whatever will have all of its crown at this same level.

I say this here a lot! LOL

+oM

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 22:07

It not all that dwarf but non the less smaller than the species.

Liriodendron tulipiferia 'Little Volunteer'

I have a species plant, gotta say its one of my favorite trees on my property right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here