Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help...what is wrong with my trees?

Posted by maggie2 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 9:11

Can anyone help me, please? I have several trees that have something going on with the bark. I've had an arborist here, but he really didn't know what it is. He thought it looked like something damaged the bark - like a lawn mower. I know that's not what it is because some of the damage is higher than a lawn mower reaches and we have large mulch rings around the trees so we don't go near them when we mow. These are all maple trees, which we planted about 3 years ago. I've been trying so hard to be good to them and would hate to lose them. I'd appreciate any help I could get from you experts. Any ideas or suggestions?

photo 008-1.jpg

photo 007-1.jpg

photo 003-4.jpg

photo 002-5.jpg

photo 006-2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help...what is wrong with my trees?

Do you have deer?

Are you sure?

o

Looks like 'southwest' injury - freeze damage - that occurred probably 2 years or more ago, judging by the callus tissue rolling in from the edges in an attempt to cover over the exposed wood..

o

Tree is likely planted too deep and struggling to survive. This kind of bark damage is common symptom of such. Best bet is to start over with new trees and plant them properly. Ask us how when you are ready to plant the replacements! We also love to throw out ideas for species selections, too!!!

John

o

Lucky....by golly, the damage does face the southwest. So, if it's freeze damage, will the trees survive? Is there anything I can do to help them?

o

did you really pay that arborist money for his lack of opinion ...

this is so basic a diagnosis.. that that moron should be embarrassed ..

and the fact that he/she did not also note the improper depth of planting... is ridiculous ...

if you do not address the telephone poling ... then it wont matter what you do about the sun scald ...

ken

o

The arborist said it was a free consultation, so, no, I did not pay him.

What is telphone poling and how do I address it?

Thanks.

o

Telephone poling refers to the tree trunk is straight sided at ground level. In other words, looks like a telephone pole.

The normal look is that you can see the flare at the base as the roots spread out from the trunk.

Any chance of an overall image showing both the leafy green canopy as well as the trunk at soil line?

o

My guess would have been frost cracking too, and we have it on a maple tree in our yard. Little bracket fungi are beginning to form in the openings and I am currently trying to convince my husband I know what I'm talking about and the tree is doomed. We see so much freeze damage on young trees here. Neighbors lost a front yard full of Greenspire lindens to it last year. It's always on the south or southwest facing side of the trunk.

I agree about the arborist. Wow. So many tree guys call themselves arborists, but any decent certified arborist could have figured out this one in his sleep.

o

My guess would have been frost cracking too, and we have it on a maple tree in our yard. Little bracket fungi are beginning to form in the openings and I am currently trying to convince my husband I know what I'm talking about and the tree is doomed. We see so much freeze damage on young trees here. Neighbors lost a front yard full of Greenspire lindens to it last year. It's always on the south or southwest facing side of the trunk.

I agree about the arborist. Wow. So many tree guys call themselves arborists, but any decent certified arborist could have figured out this one in his sleep.

o
RE: Tree collar excavation?

Please see post dated 8/22 titled "Help...what's wrong with my trees" for the background of this problem.

My heart is so sad right now.....I checked all the trees planted three years ago and they are all planted too deep. We hired a reputable, local landscape company and paid a pretty penny to have this done correctly. Also, I emailed a different arborist pictures of the tree and here's what he said: "Your trees have a harmless fungus commonly found on the bark of trees. The wounds have good callous tissue forming so the trees must be healthy. Use Miracid (found at garden centers) to fertilize them in late September and again in April." Is the title of "arborist" just handed out willy-nilly?

So I found a video on YouTube of how to do a tree collar excavation. I have attempted to do so on this tree (pictures below). Do you think it's worth me trying to do this to all the trees (eight)?

photo 002-6.jpg

photo 005-5.jpg

photo 004-3.jpg

o

If the bark is intact on the buried part, it's definitely worth the work!

The continuing challenge will be to keep the soil from filtering back into the hole.

Oh yes, now that you know how a tree needs to be planted, if you have more trees planted, make certain you are on-site and can ensure the tree(s) is(are) installed correctly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here