Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiemae222

Help...what is wrong with my trees?

maggie2
10 years ago

Can anyone help me, please? I have several trees that have something going on with the bark. I've had an arborist here, but he really didn't know what it is. He thought it looked like something damaged the bark - like a lawn mower. I know that's not what it is because some of the damage is higher than a lawn mower reaches and we have large mulch rings around the trees so we don't go near them when we mow. These are all maple trees, which we planted about 3 years ago. I've been trying so hard to be good to them and would hate to lose them. I'd appreciate any help I could get from you experts. Any ideas or suggestions?

{{gwi:409256}}

{{gwi:409257}}

{{gwi:409258}}

{{gwi:409259}}

{{gwi:409260}}

Comments (11)

• subtropix
    10 years ago

Do you have deer?

Are you sure?

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Looks like 'southwest' injury - freeze damage - that occurred probably 2 years or more ago, judging by the callus tissue rolling in from the edges in an attempt to cover over the exposed wood..

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Tree is likely planted too deep and struggling to survive. This kind of bark damage is common symptom of such. Best bet is to start over with new trees and plant them properly. Ask us how when you are ready to plant the replacements! We also love to throw out ideas for species selections, too!!!

John

• maggie2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lucky....by golly, the damage does face the southwest. So, if it's freeze damage, will the trees survive? Is there anything I can do to help them?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

did you really pay that arborist money for his lack of opinion ...

this is so basic a diagnosis.. that that moron should be embarrassed ..

and the fact that he/she did not also note the improper depth of planting... is ridiculous ...

if you do not address the telephone poling ... then it wont matter what you do about the sun scald ...

ken

• maggie2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The arborist said it was a free consultation, so, no, I did not pay him.

What is telphone poling and how do I address it?

Thanks.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Telephone poling refers to the tree trunk is straight sided at ground level. In other words, looks like a telephone pole.

The normal look is that you can see the flare at the base as the roots spread out from the trunk.

Any chance of an overall image showing both the leafy green canopy as well as the trunk at soil line?

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

My guess would have been frost cracking too, and we have it on a maple tree in our yard. Little bracket fungi are beginning to form in the openings and I am currently trying to convince my husband I know what I'm talking about and the tree is doomed. We see so much freeze damage on young trees here. Neighbors lost a front yard full of Greenspire lindens to it last year. It's always on the south or southwest facing side of the trunk.

I agree about the arborist. Wow. So many tree guys call themselves arborists, but any decent certified arborist could have figured out this one in his sleep.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

My guess would have been frost cracking too, and we have it on a maple tree in our yard. Little bracket fungi are beginning to form in the openings and I am currently trying to convince my husband I know what I'm talking about and the tree is doomed. We see so much freeze damage on young trees here. Neighbors lost a front yard full of Greenspire lindens to it last year. It's always on the south or southwest facing side of the trunk.

I agree about the arborist. Wow. So many tree guys call themselves arborists, but any decent certified arborist could have figured out this one in his sleep.

• maggie2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please see post dated 8/22 titled "Help...what's wrong with my trees" for the background of this problem.

My heart is so sad right now.....I checked all the trees planted three years ago and they are all planted too deep. We hired a reputable, local landscape company and paid a pretty penny to have this done correctly. Also, I emailed a different arborist pictures of the tree and here's what he said: "Your trees have a harmless fungus commonly found on the bark of trees. The wounds have good callous tissue forming so the trees must be healthy. Use Miracid (found at garden centers) to fertilize them in late September and again in April." Is the title of "arborist" just handed out willy-nilly?

So I found a video on YouTube of how to do a tree collar excavation. I have attempted to do so on this tree (pictures below). Do you think it's worth me trying to do this to all the trees (eight)?

{{gwi:409261}}

{{gwi:409262}}

{{gwi:409263}}

• jean001a
    10 years ago

If the bark is intact on the buried part, it's definitely worth the work!

The continuing challenge will be to keep the soil from filtering back into the hole.

Oh yes, now that you know how a tree needs to be planted, if you have more trees planted, make certain you are on-site and can ensure the tree(s) is(are) installed correctly.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks