Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dappled Willow Tree (Hakuro Nishiki) pruning question.

Posted by Dsqx 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 9:12

Hi, about 2 months ago I bought two 6' tall Hakuro Nishiki trees. At the time of planting, both the trees had a 3.5' diameter head. I planted them on a wet but not flooded spot in my yard. Within the 2 months since I've planted them they have grown quite large. Both of them have a 7.5' diameter head and their trunks have grown a bit as we'll. Overall I've very happy with this tree but I had a question about pruning it. I've seen some Hakuro Nishiki trees that look untouched and start to weep and others which are prune and have a fuller and round look to them. I'm wanting to train them to have that look, the round and full look which requires constant pruning from what I read. My question is do I prune it the first year? How far into the head do I prune? I've seen some people prune the head down to 3-5" little nubs and others 12".

Also, I don't think both my trees were grafted onto a donor willow. I don't see the graft cut on them. They also don't look like other grafted Dappled Willows. I could be wrong so here's a picture.

Picture of Willow

This post was edited by Dsqx on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 17:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dappled Willow Tree (Hakuro Nishiki) pruning question.

Up close of willow

This post was edited by Dsqx on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 18:00

o

Closer pic of where it branches out.

o

Dappled willows (Salix integra) are by nature shrubs, not trees so if you have them in a tree-form, then yes they are grafted (many grafts are not clearly visible unless you know what you are looking for). They can be pruned quite heavily and if grown as a standard (tree-form) you will want to keep the head/canopy proportional with the rest of the plant. This should be done in late winter, while the shrub is still dormant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here