Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pezzdog_gw

Fungus? on Holly

pezzdog
10 years ago

I have a holly in my yard that had a dying limb that I cut off. I think I may have cut it too far from the trunk and now I have some kind of fungus (it seems) that is growing.

What can I do to fix it?

Comments (8)

• pezzdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another picture. The black is disconcerting.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

no .. it wasnt cut off properly ... see link ....

and i think the rot has gone back into the tree proper ... but i cant tell what the black stains are.. on pix alone .....

if you are not willing to get rid of the tree ...

then i suggest an onsite inspection by a certified ISA tree doctor ...

and he might even come to the conclusion it has to go ....

i didnt know holly got that big ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• pezzdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I cut it correctly now? The branch was broken off before I bought the house in April. I just cut a few feet of of it to make room to put up a baby swing.

This isn't a typical holly. I'm assuming its a holly of some sort though. You can see a couple of green berries in this pic.

10 years ago

i am not an ID pro.. i dont recognize it..

if someone here doesnt ID it.. try the NAME THAT PLANT forum ...

yes.. the first step .. using the link i provided.. would be to properly trim off that branch stub ...

and then snap a pic or two of the new cut.. and let us see what you find ...

as i said.. i cant make out.. what the dark/black tissue is .. hopefully just a camera trick ...

i would aim to take off all the white ... as the shroom growth indicates.. to me.. that that is all dead ... and wont heal properly ... we have to get into living tissue.. for the healing.. encapsulation.. to begin ... if we dont.. or cant.. then the rot will start working into the tree proper ...

my gut tells me.. you have problems ... and that simply cutting it off.. will not help the long term health of the tree .... but for sure.. leaving it there is not good ... and until you do.. we dont have any real facts.. and we are just guessing ....

the forums are a bit dead... but the name that plant forum is always active.. if you just cant wait... for an ID.. post your pix over there ...

ken

• pezzdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK...here is pic one of the fresh cut. I hope I did it right.

• pezzdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 2 of the fresh cut.

Are the darker areas of the wood signs of disease or rot?

Thanks again for helping me out! I really don't want to lose this tree! It shades a great deal of my back yard exactly where I want shade!

• pezzdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can I put anything on the wound to help prevent infestation?

10 years ago

does God/ma nature put anything on forest trees????

i would suggest that you can not out think either ...

ken

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions