Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Ulmus parvifolia 'Golden Rey'

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Has anyone grown this yellow-leaved Chinese Elm cultivar?

I've seen it sold a few places here and there. Can anyone tell me their experiences with it as far as:

Growth Rate

Coloration/how the color holds up in summer

Does it have appreciable fall color?

Overall health

Shape

Comments (6)

• BobtheArborist
    10 years ago

These generally do well. I don't particularly like them because there is lots of open space in their canopy, not enough foliage for my liking. I have also seen them have problems with collecting mistletoe which has to be cut out 6" below the stem. Growth rate is fairly slow. I've rarely seen one higher than 20 ft. Shape is asymmetrical globular. They can develop large roots 20 to 40 feet from the base of the tree. No fall color. Prettiest part is their exfoliating orange-tan bark. Best, Bob :-)

• Sarah80
    10 years ago

I planted one at my old house. Was not that impressed, my experience was similar to Bob's. The foliage was more light lime green than golden. Almost looked chlorotic.

• BobtheArborist
    10 years ago

I say what I did earlier and then on Labor Day was going up to the Ocala National Forest in central Florida to go wilderness canoeing, stopped to visit a restroom and right there was the best-looking Chinese elm I've seen in a long time! It was twenty-five feet high, a globular canopy, green as could be and more densely foliated than I've normally seen. And the 7" diameter exfoliating bark was gorgeous! So there are exceptions! Get a genetically healthy looking young tree whose roots have been nurtured not to be pot bound, plant it correctly, nice and high, and then add organic compost, an array of minerals and some living microorganisms and humectants and you might have a beautiful Ulmus parvifoiia. Best, Bob :-)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Bob,

You where on a role until you got to "then add organic compost, an array of minerals and some living microorganisms and humectants and you might have a beautiful Ulmus parvifoiia"

Skip that and you'll have a nice looking Ulmus.

The only golden decidous tree I've come across that doesn't look chlorotic is 'Ogon' Dawn Redwood and similar cultivars.

Skip the Golden Rey and get a green leaf cultivar.
    {{gwi:397966}}

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

U. parvifolia 'Allee', although very commonly planted (almost TOO much) around here, really does have a great form & look to it.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

hair, listen to whaas & forget the yellow selection (blah). Get an Allee II -- the growth-rate is as fast as it gets. I think Allee II is slightly more upright than Allee. Below is a mature U parvifolia Allee: