Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alley_cat_gw

Quercus robur

alley_cat_gw_7b
10 years ago

I came across ' Furst Schwarzenberg'. Why is it so expensive? Because its a grafted cultivar thats variegated? Rare? New intro? Anyone growing it?

Al

Comments (38)

• jinxz5
    10 years ago

Al, I Think most of the above. It is fairly slow due to the lack of chlorophyll. Just another plant for those of us who needs one of everything. Jay

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

WHERE!!!!!

I WANT ONE ... will provide my left ... well.. never mind... acorn?????

tell me where.. or i will hunt you down.. lol..

ken

ps: whats your point jay ....???????

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:53

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, Whats the big deal? I think the green leaves are more attractive!

Al

10 years ago

thanks for the link/site al ... really appreciate it

perhaps you will be better off with q r general polaski

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Is this actually on the market here? Nearly all first page Bing hits not even in English. Photos show a similar effect to Quercus cerris 'Variegata', I found that one in one nursery in Britain during the 1990s - and the small grafted propagules seemed pretty fragile and tenuous; don't know if a single one of the few I brought back are still around - as I recall one that went to the enthusiast that paid for the exercise didn't last. It had already been brought over quite awhile ago (by 1968, according to Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees, 1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley), but I have yet to see a persisting, established one here myself ("exceedingly rare .... nearly all seem to date from the mid-1980's or more recently" (same)). They do have actual tree-sized examples in Britain.

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 15:56

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont know if its here in any quanity. i was in one of my friends hoop houses who had one for sale around 3' tall in a one gallon that was just north of a hundred bucks, with about a 1/2-3/4 dia. trunk......just caught my eye and i thought it might be something special to be priced so high...

10 years ago

be-jezuz al ... its like pulling teeth ...

was it alive...

does he mail stuff

would he mail it..

does he have a website

does he have a phone ....

was it struggling or viable ...

does he give a warranty

crikey man.,... GO BUY IT AND MAIL IT TO ME ...

i said something about giving my left acorn for it.. do you .. can you.. conceptualize what that means as to my having to have it ...

crimminey ...

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, Remember your blood pressure!.lol....I thought you were kidding. Its a 2 hour drive and ill be going back in 2-3 weeks .....im waiting for a truck from the west coast. I need your email .

Al

10 years ago

sent you a private GW email ....

my BP is fine ... lol

ken

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

'Furst Schwartzenburg' is different in that the second flush of growth is exceptionally variegated. I used to offer it for sale about 15 years ago but haven't done any quercus for several years. It makes a nice, colorful addition to the summer garden.

It may not be hardy enough for Ken's garden.

Bob

10 years ago

what?????

i have a number or roburs.... the white edge ... argentio marginata ... general pulaski ... the curly leafed one .... concordia ....

why would this one be a different zone????

hmmmmm...

ken

10 years ago

man.. waiting for these west coasters to get online.. seems to take half a day ... lol ...

ken

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

LOL A little anxious, Ken? Can't wait to see your first pic of it. :)

10 years ago

i was sitting here.. thinking.. to bad they dont have some gizmo.. where you press buttons ... and magically.. you can talk to people across country ...

then i passed out.. and my head slammed into the phone and i said.. shazammmmm ...

so i called bob...

he said.. life is short.. go for it ... lol....

he had some problems in east PA with robur .... i listed as above what i grew.. he said it should be no different .. that if i can grow those.. he doesnt have any idea.. why not this one..

so if his holy ally-ness is up for the struggle... i hope we can GET 'ER DONE ...

charging the batteries on the camera now .....

ken

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I must say for some reason it is pretty satisfying seeing Ken on pins and needles waiting for something he desire's so intensely... hope the payoff is worth it, Ken =)

John

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

My experience says robur gets horrible powdery mildew in MD and most of the humid East/Midwest/South.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

LOL John

Waiting with bated breath, Ken. ;)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, sending cell # to your email...call anytime.

• jinxz5
    10 years ago

Ken, Dave Dannaher has had them in the past. I'm certain you know of him. He is around Columbus OH. I've had mine for a couple of years. It is okay but I don't think they are very tough for being roburs. It was about 80 bucks for a foot tall one gal. Jay

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here we go Ken......Photos of the two Quercus robur.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Need to get out of those little pots. Stakes on what should be self-supporting specimens can be red flags, especially when they cost more - I wouldn't want to drop a fair chunk of change and then find terrible corkscrew roots when I went to plant. I once threw out a $35 grafted cypress because the entire rootstock was caught up in what looked like a piece of rope - how did they even get it to do that?

English oak often mildewy - and buggy as well - out here also. Doesn't, however stop it from making a large tree or reseeding.

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

How exciting for you Ken, clearly you have been looking for this guy for a bit. That or maybe the rarity and finicky reputation make the acquisition and then proper husbandry leading to successful integration to your yard that much more satisfying.

I'm with you bboy on throwing money out the window but as an aquatic fauna and flora hobbyist, I will be the first to admit I would happily give my left acorn to score something rare and beautiful regardless of the risk or even evident signs something might be slightly awry,.

It is better to have loved and lost my friend!

10 years ago

hey al

pleasure speaking with you last night ...

whichever.. in your learned experience seems the best ...

in regard to:

the graft itself...
    the branching, and/or and broken parts
    ease of boxing and shipping
    and if he will allow you.. what the roots look like in the pot ...

i am learning much about this plant.. i understand it leafs out green.. the second flush is the spectacular one... and now i find out.. that greens up also ...

i hope he knows his stock well enough.. that he can verify that it is not just understock.. and that it will give the proper show .... [i once bought a tri-color.... early shipment... leafless... and golly gee.. it was green when it leafed.. but the seller and i discussed such.. in advance]

as to roots... i would expect the roots to wind about the pot... but i also need that they be able to be teased out of said form ... you know .. as well as i ... that the really bad.. are.. really bad ... and should be walked away from ...

the one on the left looks more favorable... though i learned long ago.. that you cant really trim a tree bought for its visual too high... lol.. whats the point otherwise... i do not need the low branching of the right one .. BUT AGAIN... sometimes this means little when you actually look at the potted stock.. eh??? .. i can make.. whichever.. into what i want ....

what great fun ... thanks in advance

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, Dont sweat the small stuff!...The sky aint falling.
    Ill look em over real good for ya. If they are junk...they will sit.

Al

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Bad roots on trees and shrubs need to be fixed at planting or they may fail later, after the problem has had some time to worsen significantly. With a tall, fast-growing tree this could even involve falling on persons or property. Otherwise you may just have 25-year-old root-bound shrubs laid flat on the ground by snow, as I have.

Unfortunately, many specimens seen here are too far gone to be fixable - such as the rope-rooted cypress. This was also a member of perhaps the most consistent set of problem children, grafted conifers - although camellias from certain California wholesale growers have been terrible, and so on through the gallery.

• pteroceltis
    10 years ago

Congrats on your great new acquisition Ken. What a fun thread! Now if we could only find Gymnocladus dioicus 'Variegata'...

• PauloBarcelos
    10 years ago

Hi. A wonder what specie of quercus is this. Someone can help me identifying it? that nuts are weld together.

10 years ago

paulo .. welcome to GW ....

your post has nothing to do with this topic...

in the future .... you should start your own post ....

ken

• Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
    10 years ago

Hi Ken,

I've followed this thread without chiming in in the past. I picked up a Furst Schwarzenberg as a afterthought about a week ago from Dave Dannaher @ Dannaher landscaping . I included the link below. I am pretty sure they will do mail orderings and such. The price I paid was $30 for a 3 gallon plant. I thought it was reasonable. I also bought a ghost lacebark pine, wildfire black gum, and an O'Neil horsechestnut. Kind of a random grab-bag day for me, but it was fun to walk around Dave's place and have him give me the 10 cent tour.

I included some polka-dot pics of the new growth from my Furst Schwarzenberg :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

Paulo. That looks like a Quercus virginianna Southern live oak http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_virginiana

• poaky1
    10 years ago

The above pic is the Angel oak in South Carolina on St. John's Island if I recall correctly. It is Southern Live oak. I have a post card of it on my fridge, I am Live oak obsessed.

10 years ago

dannaher offered me one 3 or 5 years back.. for 150 dollars.. i had already given him all the money in my pocket ... so this was skipped over ...

wonder why his prices fell so much

ken

• PRO
    EcoServices
    6 years ago

I dug up a variegated Q. robur, growing on a path. This will be its second year, it needs a permanent home, as I don't want to bonsai it or condemn it to a container, sadly, I'm in the U.K.

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

English oak is one of those trees that generates numbers of white-marked seedlings when planted. (Other familiar examples are Golden Rain Tree and Pagoda Tree). Presumably in most instances this feature is not constant, disappears over time.

• poaky1
    6 years ago

Ken, You could've surely gotten a Q.Robur cheap since (I think) someone ripped you off. I hope you have. If not I have 2 of them and 1 may have acorns soon. If not, you can look on Ebay in the fall and likely find acorns on Ebay. Or get a small 1 for cheap. But, really you are ken Adria, and I find it really shocking that you are gonna give money for a tree of unknown size etc, so I think you are just joking. I would've never given over $150.00 for a tree online, with no agreement signed by a lawyer. Okay, so Ken you are just messing with us, right?

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

Thats why I'm hoping to have my garden at the "maintenance phase" by the time my kids are teens!

• poaky1
    6 years ago

Okay, sorry Ken I didn't see the year. Hairmetal, yeah, I'm in the phase of tree growth where I can still prune with a ladder, (I need to go and buy a ladder) but, soon we'll have to pay the guys with the big guns. I'm gonna try to prune to a main ;leader in my oaks. Many of my oaks are fine, but, I have a couple still in ladders reach, that need some pruning to a central leader. Lord help us once they get too tall, and need a pro$$$$, to trim them. Most of my oaks don't need any attention too far up, but, some need a thinout to have a central leader about 6-8 feet up.