Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thesound930_gw

Planted new trees, unsure if planted correctly

thesound930
10 years ago

Hello,

I planted six trees three weeks ago in our backyard in MA. The trees are three autumn cherry and three red rocket crape myrtle. They are alternating and are planted 8 feet apart to build a privacy screen (there's a three story apartment building behind our yard). I have a few concerns that I would really appreciate some help with.

The first is that I'm unsure if the top of the root ball is planted high enough. I read from a few sources it should planted an inch above the surface. However, when I did that there were several small roots that were exposed. I did my best to pant it as close to an inch above the surface, but kept the roots submerged. The attached picture is an example of one of the planted trees.

Second, I have been watering the trees two gallons of water every 2-3 days. However, almost all of the trees appear to be deteriorating. Some of the branches are withering, and there are a few yellow leaves with spots. Any thoughts as if this is to transplant shock, too much watering, or not enough watering?

Any help is really appreciated. I have done quite a bit of research, but am very much a novice to growing trees.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)