10 years ago

Check out the video.

Btw, what kind of trees were they?

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Post

Comments (15)

• User
    10 years ago

Taxodium distichum (Bald Cypress).

Can grow in water, but also also on terra firma.

(Hardy to your zone btw.)

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

Wow, that is amazing video!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Njoasis, are you saying they don't do well on terra non firma?

• User
    10 years ago

No, I am saying they grow equally well on land or water, or land periodically flooded.

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

That video was creepy

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Awesome post is awesome

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Neat and scary. 25 acres huh

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"No, I am saying they grow equally well on land or water, or land periodically flooded."

OK, so the joke wasn't good or you missed the non part, one...probably the joke.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A bit more information on this particular sinkhole from Tim Murphy of Mother Jones:

'.....Bayou Corne sinkhole, a swampy, reeking, 24-acre hole in the earth that opened up near the site of an abandoned salt cavern in rural Assumption Parish, Louisiana. After the sinkhole first appeared (at about 1/24th of its current size) last August, Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered the 350 residents of Bayou Corne to evacuate. On August 2, Louisiana sued Texas Brine, the company that mined the salt cavern that experts have identified as the trigger for the sinkhole. Every few weeks the sinkhole burps this is really the term the geologists use and somewhere between 20 and 100 barrels of sweet crude bubble up to the surface.

...Wednesday, Assumption Parish emergency response office, which continuously monitors the sinkhole for burps and seismic activity, released perhaps the strangest video I've seen yet. It's an entire grove of trees simply being swallowed up by the sinkhole something that was known to happen but no one had managed to capture clearly on camera.'

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

That's a scary dissapearing act, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be standing that close.
    Btw I thought non-firma was pretty good.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I knew Florida and even Pa had sinklholes, didn't know about Louisiana. I hope people can test for these before buying homes/ property in all the states they occur in. I'm sure retesting would be needed in some places. It makes sense that the Bayous are susceptible, what about middle and northern Louisiana?

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Ground Gives Way, and a Louisiana Town Struggles to Find Its Footing"

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

" 2, Louisiana sued Texas Brine, the company that mined the salt cavern"

This sink hole seems to be man made Poaky. There is an area northwest of me that is naturally cavernous. Laclede stores natural gas underground there and I hear the residents who live over it get a few bucks rent or something.

It used to be light density but now they are building McMansion subdivisions there. Go figure, if you can't find a floodplain to build in here you build over a natural gas explosion waiting to happen. Thats Missouri for ya, you would think we did not have all that undeveloped land. Darned ignorant city and county councils should have their power to rezone taken away.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Toronado, it sounds like there are GOOD places to build that are being overlooked, and, less desireable places being pushed as being more desireable. I am glad that I know the history of my small slice of heaven, almost 2 acres. it's not much but I know what I have. I do however have a Bald Cypress tree on my lower raised bed garden. It is in a section where I have added more soil. I just want to say that sinkholes aren't really popular in Pennsylvania.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Yep..............lived in Missouri so long, I considered it 'home' and there are natually occuring sink holes for sure because of the caverns. Here in my area of Ohio, there's lots of old mines and for one of my properties, I must carry a special rider on the insurance because it's built in that area, even though it's in town. These aren't new McMansions, but houses dating back to the 1800s even. I think someone told me the city used to pipe sewerage down them long ago. Cheerful thought, huh?