Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beccasue_gw

Help, please. broken paper bark maple

BeccaSue
9 years ago

I bought a 12 foot paper bark maple yesterday. I transported it home myself, and in the process about 2 feet was broke off the top of the tree. Have I done permanent damage to my tree? Will it grow back? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Obviously you've never grown a maple (of any kind) before. Yes, I'm pretty sure you'll never known it next year. I doubt the shape will suffer even.

• BeccaSue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, dbarron. You are right. This is the first maple I have ever grown. I had a silver maple, but it was already full-grown when I moved here.
    Will my paper bark maple tree still reach the height in the long run as it would have had it not broke?

This post was edited by BeccaSue on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:43

• BeccaSue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the top of it.

This post was edited by BeccaSue on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:39

• StGuaposFire
    9 years ago

Yes, it will grow a new leader and be fine. It will never reach the size of your silver maple though, if that's what you meant. Paperbarks are a much smaller tree.

S

• BeccaSue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted picture

This post was edited by BeccaSue on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:49

• BeccaSue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, S. I meant will it reach the same height at maturity as it would have if I didn't break it?
    I used a long pruner to cut it off more evenly.

This post was edited by BeccaSue on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:49

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

ALL trees releader ... no harm done ... period

if you can get up there...i would cut it at an angle.. just above the next set of leaves.. presuming what is there now is not a flush proper cut ..

and next time.. forgo the instant gratification of a 12 foot tree.. imagine how the whole process would have been easier... with say ... a 6 foot tree ...

and if it dies... it will have nothing to do with this break ... august is not the best tree planting time... refer to link.. and lets discuss anything you may have done wrong ... and if you did anything wildly off ... i might suggest you replant it in sept ...

ken

ps: how did you get a 12 foot tree home????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• BeccaSue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ken. I am glad to hear the maturity height won't suffer from the break, and I will make a slanted cut just above the top shoot as you suggested, as I have a standing ladder.
    It was actually a pretty inexpensive tree, 89 dollars, that I bought at Andersen's in Toledo, Oh. They only had 2 trees and both were tall. They told me over the phone the trees were about 10 feet tall, including the root ball in a pot, so really I thought the tree would be only just over 8 feet. I rented a u-Haul cargo van to haul it. They helped me load it, and I unloaded it myself and moved it to where I wanted it with a rolling pin. It broke in the van. The van was a little too short.
    I almost bought a smaller paperbark tree the day before from another nursery, but the root ball wouldn't fit through the hole to the trunk in my little Kia car. That tree cost 144 dollars (which is more than the cost of my current tree plus the U-Haul) plus they charge 90% of the cost of the tree to deliver it. They would have, however, also planted it and warrantied it for a year as well which is good.

This post was edited by BeccaSue on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:54

• BeccaSue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, Ken, I will check it out!

• BeccaSue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted due to double post

This post was edited by BeccaSue on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:55