Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

Traveler Redbud...to resemble old Lavender Twist

cadillactaste
10 years ago

Sadly...my zone isn't a 6. :O( it is exactly the look I want verses the weeping style they now stake the lavender twist into.

Mind you...I like the weeping form. Just want the Ruby Falls. With cleaner lines for the weeping effect.

But admire the old short squatty twisted tree...wanting it for the back part of our waterfall.

We sometimes are classified as 6 on other sites. But we are actually a 5b the nursery says. But they are trying to reclassify our zone to a 6. But some winters are harsher and throws us out of that zone.

But the nursery said they will work with us to locate something in our zone.

Comments (6)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

I saw Traveler at a local nursery. I want one but pricey!

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hear ya! Envious you seen a traveler in person though...

When I'm limited to black walnuts in the ravine I have to just bite the bullet. Though we have been blessed with FREE plants from a few folk. 15 or so...along with what we planted things don't look so bare. (Established flowerbeds last year) Planting on the rocky waterfall tucking in flower ends here and there keep the soil From being contaminated by the roots if the walnut. But sadly where we need to plant these we are dealing with what will survive there. Due to the walnut tree. I want a nice flowering substance tree/shrub. I have three hibiscus...Rose of Sharon...lil'Kim...and a Rose Mallow. The list is so limited to things I can plant...I have one zone pet friendly which also makes it more difficult.

I want two redbuds next spring...I am pretty sure the weeping Ruby Falls and a Lavender Twist allowed to go natural. Trunk no more than 1 1/2 ft. From where branches start. I want a low laying branch look more like they have gotten with the Traveler.

After years back losing $$$$ on everything dying. We would rather pay and have success. Planted two weeping cheeries. One we planted the other a nursery...both died. The nursery (one we no longer deal with) wouldn't hold up to the refund we were told they would stand by if they planted it. So $$$ waisted. Figured later we know about the roots of a walnut...that was the problem. So...little by little. We bite the bullet and get what will survive and live.

But hope to achieve the same look of the Traveler...with an un-staked Lavender Twist.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Trunk no more than 1 1/2 ft. From where branches start.

==>> are you saying that you want an 18 inch standard????

when i look at this thing.. all i see is a heavily trained.. read that.. pruned.. plant ...

someone spent a decade MAKING it into what you see ..

as such.. they are not cheap ....

but in my cheap world ... i would buy a babe.. and prune the bee-gee-bees out of it ... and save a heck of a lot of money ...

this plant is Cercis texensis 'Traveller' ..

the redbud you need.. needs to be in the C canendensis family.. to be fully hardy in your zone ...

and your option is: Lavender Twistî Redbud ....Cercis canadensis 'Covey'

that is the whole point of the latin ID ... in case other readers dont know that .. i bet you do ...

anyway .... my point was.. simply.. prune one anyway you want.. there is nothing special about this one .. IMHO ....

ken

ps: ... do research it under the covey name .... sometimes you find bargains that way ...

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes...but every Covey I have found...has been staked. :O( which is crazy to not offer one naturally. The nursery also stated as you Ken. I need a young lavender twist/covey...with low laying branches. Some have high laying branches. I can picture lovingly staking it into my desired tree...but will also have to understand it will still do as it will at times. Just wish the Traveler was in my zone. Some sites say they are zone 5 but not many boast that.
    They are somewhat fast growers. So I have that on my side. I figure I'll have around $150-$200 in one even a babe. I want first dibs on their delivery when it arrives. Sounds like they are willing to call me when they get it in as well. (I have ordered many plants from them...they even held a bush for me since I was leaving on a mission trip to properly water it until I could pick it up) I would rather pay for a pick of the selection than just randomly sent one.

How old of a tree do you feel the traveler posted here is!?! Just curious...

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry double post...

This post was edited by cadillactaste on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 22:17

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He a bit of bad luck today...there is a short of something in my jeep. And the back cargo window wouldn't close. It locked once I opened it. Making it impossible to close. Called my mechanic who tried to help me over the phone trouble shoot to disengage the window latch...to no avail. Because my automatic door locks also failed. (I had tried to unlock the mechanism that way prior to making the call to the mechanic)

So being unable to drive with the window open...warning sticker says one can efixeiate themselves. I stopped at the nursery in the parking lot of the mall I had been shopping for something to tie it closed with.

Upon discussing the Lavender Twist...and being unable to find a nursery with one un-staked taking on the original form of a short and squatty form...he stood with his mouth open...and was like...we sold our last one a few weeks ago.

O.o so I am standing there...thinking of my good fortune that I found a nursery that at least offered them in one of the forms I wish to have in my yard. Trouble is...I don't know the name of the nursery...he told me to contact another nursery that is their affiliate. In Canton,Ohio...came home...did a Google search...NOTHING! I may have to make another trip to the mall...to learn more about it. I know they are a larger nursery. Shipping many plants to the location in the parking lot of the mall there.