Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverada_gw

black leaves on Pyrus salicifolia pendula

silverada
10 years ago

In June 2013 I planted a beautiful standard pot-grown semi-mature Pyrus salicifolia pendula. It's been fine until about a week ago when the leaves started to blacken at the tips and now the entire tree is affected and looks like it's dying. I have to confess that about 4 weeks ago I forgetfully left a hose seeping on it overnight so then witheld water for a week afterwards. Have I killed it? Could there be another reason for the sudden leaf blackening -fireblight? Any way to tell which could be the problem?
Many thanks for any advice.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

insert finger in soil.. AND FIND OUT.. as to what the moisture level is.. IN THE GROUND ..

otherwise.. 6 weeks or so after planting.. the only viable diagnosis is transplant shock ... the ultimate stress ...

ergo.. no bug or disease issue.. in my world ... besides.. i would never spray a stressed plant ...

a little leaf browning is ugly.. but it doesnt mean its dying... all i want is for it to live thru the first winter.. no matter what it looks like ...

can you ID any of the buds at the tips of branches.. therein lies life ... and those are being set for next spring ... and that is where we can tell if it is dying.. or not.. but alas.. poor yorick... your pic leaves them all out...

ken

• silverada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the response, Ken.
    Alas, poor me - it rained buckets yesterday so the ground test is out. Also, I didn't think transplant shock was an issue with container raised plants since there's no root disturbance.
    I took 3 more photos but it seems you can upload only one per post: JPG...922 is of new growth this season. Tip v. small but nice and wooly.
    Shall I send you the other 2 pics in separate postings, one of hard wood tips and the whole tree if you think useful?

• silverada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alas, poor me - it rained buckets yesterday so the ground test is out. Also, I didn't think transplant shock was an issue with container raised plants since there's no root disturbance.
    I took 3 more photos but it seems you can upload only one per post: JPG...922 is of new growth this season. Tip v. small but nice and wooly.
    Shall I send you the other 2 pics in separate postings, one of hard wood tips and the whole tree if you think useful?

{{!gwi}}

• silverada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• silverada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh for Pete's sake, sorry for all the embarrassing repeats. I didn't think anything was responding when I sent a response. Cringe.