Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brandywine vs. October Glory A. rubrum

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 11:23

Has anyone grown these two Acer rubrums side by side to compare them?

Brandywine is appealing to me as a male/seedless cultivar. At least the marketing photos show it to have a deeper, more burgundy fall color compared to the more red-red to orange-red of the OG.

Most literature says it (Brandywine) colors about a week earlier than OG but I've seen some say it actually colors later...which around here would be getting into Thanksgiving since OG peaks in early Nov. here. I'd prefer something that peaks closer to late October.

It also seems that Brandywine is a bit more upright than most A. rubrums - not columnar per se but a bit more of an upright oval.

Can anyone who has one tell me anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brandywine vs. October Glory A. rubrum

Anyone?

o

The claim that it colors a week(!) later than OG is intriguing. I would have to see it to believe it.

Also my OG colors burgundy red with no orange and it is in full sun till around 6. Red Sunset has quite a bit of orange in its fall color.

No personal experience with Brandywine, sorry

John

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 13:09

o

I saw a chart (that I can't find now) that showed Brandywine peaking about a week BEFORE OG, this was a trial done in Maryland.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 14:48

The earlier things turn around here the better otherwise it gets ruined by early freezes.

The ones that seem to hang on even after hard freezes are oaks.

o

Had a Brandywine back in Pittsburgh. It turned a nice red-color most of the time, sometimes with a touch of magenta or maroon. My memory says that it peaked in late Oct - it usually had full color or some leaves falling when the kids were trick or treating. The shape was the same as any other red maple as far as I could tell, kinda rounded or ovalish.

I liked its summer foliage too...just a nice tree.

This was zone 6a, so it might be a bit later to turn in fall in your zone.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 15:36

In addition to variations in site conditions differences in outcomes can be affected by some individuals being sold mislabeled stock. Incomplete or inaccurate labeling seems to be a characteristic feature in particular of the big box store plant departments that so many appear to think are the only good places to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here