Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Bitten Bark of Birch Tree!

Posted by welchrach 4B (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:25

Something made a neat row of bites in the bark of my Paper Birch tree! See photo. Is this damage from a bird or a bug? Will my tree die? How do I help the tree? It is in my front yard and highly visible. I desperately want to prevent further damage. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Bitten Bark of Birch Tree!

Sapsucker or flicker ... it's a bird. Probably will not do permanent damage unless that is the trunk. of a tiny tree.

More worrying is how close it appears to be to your house ...

o

Looks like you might have a bird issue - a sapsucker which is a kind of woodpecker.

o

Yes, the tree is close to the house and highly visible from a second floor bedroom window. Is that bad?

o

If you have trees as foundation planting (2'-3') you get a lot of wind-rubbing damage to the tree and to your house. As the trees get older you risk limb damage to your roof and windows.

My preference is to keep trees 15'-20' from houses and leave shrubs as foundation plants.

o

not to mention that improper historical prune near the top of the pic ..

the tree above that prune.. will fail ... when the wood inside rots .. and the tree above grows to extreme weight ...

it will happen.. in a wind storm.. or an ice storm in winter ... when??? .. who knows.. anytime in the next few decades.. or next winter ... lol.. no clue ....

we would need a pic of the whole tree... to give you any concrete advise as to its placement ...

ken

o

Can I see that the tree has been wired together at the top of the picture there? That won't be good for it either.

o

Very observant floral_uk! That wire looks as if it was just recently installed to keep the branch from leaning out too much. It's going to girdle the branch and kill from that point on.
The 'tree' appears to be a branch of a birch tree planted way too close to the house. I'd just leave it be until it falls away from the house when it gets larger. It will begin to lean more and more until it's removed.
Ice won't do it in ken, the OP is in Phoenix.
Around here aphids chew on the leaves causing a sticky soot mold on everything under it, cars, windows, and other plants.
I had no idea a birch could survive in Phoenix. I've never seen one there.
Mike...Birchless in Seattle

o

Mike, the OP is in z4B.

o

Whoops!
I was looking at Lazygardens page.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here