Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the soonest time that a Crape Myrtle can root by cutting

Posted by tlbean2004 Arkansas (tlbean2004@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 12:00

I planted some crape myrtles cutting in miracle grow and put them in thick plastic bags in my kitchen. They leaves are still green and there are aphids on the underside of the leaves(i need to wipe them off,lol). I keep the bag only slightly open and it appears very humid inside.

Anyway, it looks like there is some growth coming from the top cut of one of them and it looks like some new leaves might be coming out (hard to tell, they may have been like that when i planted them).

Anyway, i was wondering what is the fastest time in which a crape myrtle can root from cutting?

Im scared to tug on it for fear that if there are roots formed that i will rip them.

I put the cuttngs inside of clear water bottles so i could see what was happening but it is humid around the bottles and hard to tell.

please advise cause i am anxious and excited to have these actually root.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the soonest time that a Crape Myrtle can root by cutt

it will take.. as long as it takes.. in the conditions you provided ...

did you research what type of wood roots [new wood.. year old wood.. or old wood??] ... and what time of year to take cuttings ... or are you completely winging it????

i am surprised you couldnt get a general answer thru google ... though i do understand that you are asking for personal experience ...

lightly tugging will NOT rip off new roots ... besides.. you dont need to pull it completely out... a cutting with no roots will slip right out of the media... stick it right back in ...

if there is resistance... and the media starts to come with it.. you PRESUME roots are forming ...

your media should not be so compacted.. that you rip off roots ...

next time.. you might want to sterilize you media in the microwave ... your container with bleach .... and clean your plants BEFORE enclosing them ... prevention is much easier.. than fixing it all later .... trust me.. been there.. done that...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here