Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Sunset Maples yellowing

Posted by dobieone Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 12:03

I have five maple trees that were planted Spring 2013. All has been good until just this last month when the tops started turning yellow. We've had some extended hi 90s weather but we've been watering via drip irrigation twice a week two hours at a time. I have not fertilized this spring. Why do you think the tips are yellowing? Too much water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Sunset Maples yellowing

hand trowel ... dig 3 or 4.. 6 inch holes... AND FIND OUT IF THERE IS ANY MOISTURE AT DEPTH ...

when i run irrigation on trees... i run it 6 to 8 hours on my sand ... because that is what is required with my engineered system of x gallons per hour... taking into account my sand...

how did you come up with your number of hours???

and the way to find out.. is to dig the holes.. and discover how its working...

you dont say how large the transplants are ... but if they are over 6 feet... you need to have the entire root mass planted dampish ... but not sodden.. for up to 3 years ...

and it isnt surprising.. it appeared.. when the heat hit ...

it has absolutely nothing to do with fert ... and as far as i am concerned.. you NEVER fert trees ... especially if you fert your lawn ... the tree will get/steal all it ever needs ...

one might suggest that a soil test will tell you if anything is lacking.. i feel its much simpler to look around and see if trees... shrubs.. plants.. are thriving.. in general.. and if they are.. then the soil is good enough for your trees ...

pic is you want more info ...

ken

o
RE: Red Sunset Maples yellowing

I didn't realize Red Sunset Acer rubrum was suitable for zone 9 in California...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here