Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Merlot redbud

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Has anyone grown this new redbud? How does it compare to 'Forest Pansy'?

I think FP is somewhat overrated. It's a decent tree, mind you, but has some issues in my view.

The species and, presumably, the green-leaved cultivars make a shapely, nice looking small tree, whereas FP is a bit erratic & wild looking. The flowers are decent, but not as dense as other redbuds. The new leaves are a nice purple color, but by this time of year, the FP's around here are this muddy greenish-brown color. They DO have nice fall color, however.

How does Merlot compare to Forest Pansy?

As a side note, has anyone tried 'Hearts of Gold' or the other new yellow-leaved redbud (can't remember the name at the moment) out there?

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I've seen it once, last month, in pots at a nursery and noticed those particular specimens had better summer color than 'Forest Pansy' often does.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, bboy!

Rising Sun is the other cultivar (w/yellow & orange new growth) I was thinking of IIRC.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Bum steer! I see the one I encountered would have been 'Ruby Falls'. If you haven't noticed, the apparent originator of both talks about them at the link below - where he says the 'Merlot' has a more upright habit than 'Forest Pansy' but the weeping 'Ruby Falls' has the same level of coloration as 'Forest Pansy'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redbuds âMerlotâ and âRuby Fallsâ (Cercis canadensis)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I have had Rising Sun for two growing seasons now. The first year, the leaves burned in full sun and it looked like crap the last few months of the growing season with a very bright yellow on the one healthy leaf left by the time peak fall color rolled around. This spring it was loaded with flowers. The leaves this summer are a very deep/dark green with the new leaves showing the characteristic apricot to yellow to green progression with no burning. Looks like it will be a fine addition to the landscape =)

I lost a Forest Pansy this spring in a storm. I let it sprout from the base but only the root stock has sent up suckers unfortunately. It was the third growing season in my yard and was very pretty for a month or two in spring while the leaves were emerging and enlarging but not much to look at after that. I did not witness very good fall color but the two growing seasons it had in my yard were harsh to put it very mildly.

I am strongly contemplating Merlot as its replacement. It seems to be very hard (impossible) to find a small decently priced Merlot.

I would link to my Rising Sun topic but I remember you commented on it recently so...

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I saw a topic on it - I can't remember my name half the time these days...thanks for the info!

• maizenbluedoc
    9 years ago

I purchased a Forest Pansy redbud two years ago and planted it in a protected ared from afternoon sun. The leaves curles and turned brown and the tree died the second year. This year I puchased a Merlot redbud which is in a more sun protected area than the previous tree, yet the same is happening to my present tree. The tree is attempting to send out branches from the trunk close to the ground, yet the main branching structure has brown leaves. I have done everything to the soil to protect it, yet it still does not look healthy. Any suggestions?

• Jessie Klein
    9 years ago

How did things work out for you with the Merlot Redbud? I just bought 2 Rising Sun Redbud trees and 1 Forest Pansy. I am hopeful :)

• maizenbluedoc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Same as the Forest pansy. another wasted $95. I acquiese to only planting native trees (Eastern Redbud) which thrive in my area.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

I purchased a nice and healthy (TONS of roots) 12' bnb Merlot fall of 2013 or spring of 2014. The tree put out a few leaves on the buds, held color well all summer (very mild summer here), and proceeded to die over the winter. I think it didn't like my clay soil and abundant summer rain last year. I'm so disappointed!

I also ended up moving my Rising Sun out of full sun hoping to get better color out of it.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow - seems there are a lot of issues with the more "foo foo" Redbuds, as Ken likes to say.

The species redbuds seem to do fine here, and don't even have many issues with canker or VW.

• hamburglar1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I planted a Rising Sun two summers ago and it has been terrific for me. Gets full sun in the summer and partial shade the rest of the year. Has not had any trouble the last two brutal winters. Also was heavily browsed by deer last summer but bounced back like a champ. It is much denser in foliage than the typical redbud. The changing colors lasts most if not all summer. Visitors to my backyard tend to notice it. I could see how it might appreciate a bit of shade in an area with hotter, drier summers though.

Also planted a new variety called Pink Heartbreaker around Christmas. It is supposed to develop into an upright weeper (10'x5'). Rarefind Nursery had a half-off special so I thought it was worth a shot. Our February was super cold and I was not expecting the plant to make it, but it is blooming nicely right now.

Agree with others who are down on Forest Pansy. It is over-planted, primarily because homeowners and landscapers overrate purple foliage. From what little I have seen, I would not lump in Rising Sun with Forest Pansy or Merlot though. RS is a much hardier, denser tree.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida