Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casa_amore

Advice Needed - Ornamental Tree for Front Yard (zone 5)

casa_amore
14 years ago

Long time reader, but first time posting!

I could use some advice on selecting an ornamental tree for my front yard. I have consulted several landscaper/nurseries and researched on gardenweb.

One of my goals this year is to move a 2-year red maple (it really has green leaves but everyone is calling it a red maple) from the middle of the front yard and replace it with something flowering/ornamental.

My dh doesn't understand why I would want spend money to move a perfectly good tree to the back yard. However, I have my heart set on something prettier, different than what many of the neighbors have, and the maple will eventually grow to be towering over the house. I have wanted to do this ever since we moved into the house two years ago, and since the tree is still fairly new in the ground, I must do it this year. I'll wait to have the tree moved after the leaves drop in October so it has a better chance to survive in the back yard.

We have a two story colonial (front door in the center) that is 19' to the eaves and 24' to the roof top. Our house is light grey with black shutters. The maple was planted to the left of the center of the house (if you are facing the house). It's about 20' from the house, so there is plenty of room for a wider tree. The new tree will be planted in the same spot.

I'm selling dh on the point that the new tree will have curb appeal and wow factor, especially when it's in bloom. But since he is not 100% sold on the idea I need to select a tree carefully, which is why I wanted some objective advice. We have plenty of nurseries that have different trees around here. I do need to purchase from a nursery/landscaper rather than online because I'll need someone to transplant the maple, and plant the new tree for me.

The landscapers and/or nurseries all have made suggestions. But when I researched the options on gardenweb and google I'm finding that a lot of the options mentioned are trees that are suseptible to insects or disease.

The house faces east and I'm in zone 5. The front yard is an open space now (this maple is the only tree in our yard, except for a weeping cherry that is along the foundation of the house). My neighbor to the South has a 2-3 year old Crimson King (?) maple (the purple/red-leafed kind) growing nearby, so when that tree ultimately matures there will be more shade in the front yard (from the South).

Here's my wish list -- but I realize that all trees won't have everything:

- A small tree (18-25 feet tall at full maturity)

- One that flowers after the weeping cherry that we also have in the front yard

- Long bloom time of 3-4 weeks would be great

- One that will flower next year and every year (as opposed to the yellowwood which takes years to establish and doesn't bloom every year)

- Pink or White/Cream Flowers (no yellow)

- Leaves a nice green - no purple/red or red/purple-tinged leaves

- A "clean" tree (no/low maintenance on cleaning up flowers/fruit/leaves that fall to the ground)

- Nice bark or winter interest would be nice (or berries for 3 season interest)

- Not crazy about yellow fall foliage with our house color

- Hardy tree that will last 40+ years

- Not a lot of pruning/maintenance would make my dh happy!

Here are some of the suggestions that sounded like good options -- I've already tossed out the Pear and Hawthorn suggestions as well as some other trees that seemed fragile or higher maintenance.

Cornus Kousa - very long bloom time, but is there a species that is more disease/insect resistant?

Japanese Stewartia - summer bloom, great fall color, nice bark

Kwanzan Cherry - only 25 year life, my concern is disease and the borer insects

Japanese Lilac Tree - blooms in July, not known for fall color

Amelanchier Arborea Serviceberry - in tree form

I'm hoping for people who already have these trees (or other suggestions) to tell me if my worries about disease or insects killing the tree is a valid concern. Or is there something that you can do to treat trees each year, so you don't have problems with borers or disease?

Thanks so much in advance,

Diane

Comments (12)

• tree_oracle
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

As I was reading your post, Cornus Kousa came to mind and then I saw it on your list. I would highly recommend it for your situation. It's fairly resistant to disease and insects. I'm not sure why you think there is a problem in that regard. I have a cultivar of it called "Big Daddy" that I like a lot. The leaves are a very dark and lush green. The blooms are white and last a long time. The huge red fruit are very ornamental and the birds, squirrels and chipmunks love them so the tree really doesn't make a mess. The fall color is dark purple which would look good against your house. I've never had any sort of disease or insect problem on mine. The tree also sheds bark to provide additional interest.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Diane,

I agree with tree oracle-a kousa is what I was thinking as I read your list. We have several and all have grown beautifully here in northern VA with no disease or insect issues. I just planted a serviceberry in the back this year, so can't attest to that yet-especially since the dogs dug it up right after we planted it requiring a replanting and causing some trauma (to me and the tree), I'm sure! I have heard the stewartia is a terrific tree also, but don't have one...yet. Personally, I'd go with the kousa.

Cynthia

• casa_amore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the votes for kousa Tree Oracle and Cynthia, and thank you for the speedy response! Tree Oracle - I can't seem to find a "Big Daddy" kousa online to see what it looks like. I had been leaning towards a pink flowering version such as "Stellar Pink", but I'll choose hardiness over color.

Thanks,
    Diane

• tree_oracle
    14 years ago

Diane, I gave you some bad info. The cultivar that I have is "Big Apple". You should be able to find some pictures of it online. It's probably available online, too. Sorry for the mixup.

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    14 years ago

Hi Diane,
    I have a Japanese Lilac I just love. When I put it in 10 years ago it was as big around as my thumb and only about 4' tall, 10 leaves total. It has grown to 25 feet and has a wonderful shape. It has only been pruned once to take out some lesser branches. Mine blooms mid to late May and has huge white/creamy clusters that are like regular Lilac blooms but much larger. When the tree is young and the blooms lower the smell is heavenly. Now mine is tall and I can't smell them any longer. It does not drop "whips" or anything else until the leaves come down in the fall. My hummers love to fly into it between sips at the feeder as it is dense and provides cover. I haven't had a single insect on it. Something that I really like is that every year or two it will send out a healthy sprout a few feet from the tree. I have dug those out, potted them up and now have one growing on the north side and will put one that I have in a pot, already 4' tall and full of leaves, at the end of my deck. Also gave one to my neighbor and it is doing very well in her yard. Free trees from the Momma tree, who knew I would be so lucky? I think you can go into "Google Images" and get some pictures. Hope this helps.
    Tina

• tree_oracle
    14 years ago

Yes, they bloom every year although mine tends to put on the best show every other year. They don't have any special water requirements once they are established. Except for the first few weeks after it was planted, I have never watered mine although it only gets a few hours of direct sun each day and that's in the very early morning and the very late afternoon.

• casa_amore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I made a really stupid mistake, and I'm very embarrassed to have to post my experience but could use some advice (so please excuse my poor decision).

I found a handyman that offered to move the red maple tree in the front yard to the back for the bargain price of $75.

The only thing is that the tree had a monsterous root system, and he had to move it with his truck and a rope around the trunk. The bark scratched, which I didn't think was a big deal...and he said he thought it would be ok...until I researched on gardenweb after he left. The tree is very scratched, circling 75-80% of the tree's circumference, so it may take years, but the tree won't make it. I called him back to tell him that the tree would eventually die/break and he felt bad and offered to plant another tree for me.

Last week, after my initial posting and reading the feedback, I ended up purchasing an autumn gold ginko (it's not planted yet and is actually still at the nursery).

I had every intention of getting a kousa, but I'm just not seeing any that look good in the nurseries (and I've been all over in two counties). Plus I'm finding most are no-name varieties. Plus the branching structure starts out low -- just 14" from the base, so while it's a tree, it's a low branching tree (and I guess I'd prefer a higher branching tree in the front yard). I'd like to try a kousa if I can find the right spot, just not the front yard. Sorry, I'm being particular, but I'm trying to make the right decision that dh will be happy with as well.

I realize that the ginko will get 40', but it's such a beautiful tree, so I figured that perhaps I would put that in the front.

In lieu of what happened, and as much as I love the ginko, I'm thinking that I should plant the ginko in the back yard where the red maple (the only tree in the backyard) had been planted.

I'd also like to get a Blackgum to put in the back yard (maybe next year, or this year if I can find them on sale).

One of the local nurseries has a serviceberry tree that is $259 -- a nice tree, but out of the range of what I wanted to spend (I'd love to wait for them to go on sale, but I'm not sure when that will be and if they will still be around).

THIS YEAR: I really need to have a tree in the front yard (part of the agreement I made with dh when I told him I was moving the front tree).

Should I plant the ginko in the front yard or will I regret it when it gets too large?

OR

Should I plant the ginko in the back yard and get a smaller tree for the front (as per my original plan, but I just haven't found the right tree for the front in my price range).

On a good note, my dh did not say "I told you so" or anything to that effect, but I do feel like I'm in an "I Love Lucy" episode at this point.

• basic
    14 years ago

"I called him back to tell him that the tree would eventually die/break and he felt bad and offered to plant another tree for me."

I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true. It might be wise to retire this so called handyman on this project. As soon as I read "...he had to move it with his truck and a rope around the trunk." I knew the ending couldn't be good. Just curious, what are his horticultural qualifications?

Bob

• casa_amore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Tree Oracle, Cynthia and Tina for your advice and support as I was making my decisions over the past couple weeks. It's nice to know that there are people available who kindly offer their expertise and experiences to those in need. :-)

• chester_grant
    14 years ago

Stellar Pink..best dogwood IMHO..the best combination of color (masses of pink flowers), disease resistance (kousa hybrid thats why) and form (presents as a combination of the free form like a native variety of dogwood and conical kousa form).

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

I've been looking for an improved Kousa dogwood myself. Many of the straight species in my area are plagued with insect and disease problems.

I've heard the Stellar Pink is an inconsistent bloomer?