Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Manzita

Posted by MisterLeadFoot_Z9 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 12:14

I am in the Sacramento foothills. Would a native Manzanita tree be OK within 6 feet of my pool? I'm thinking of a 2 footer. Roots are not supposed to be invasive, but I want to be sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Manzita

The manzanita will be okay for your pool.

But the real question is, "will the pool water (splashing, etc.) negatively affect my manzanita?.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 18:08

The small flowers or fruits might get into the filter, which could be a bother.

o

The tree should do OK for you. The question you might want to ask yourself is am I OK with cleaning all of the leaves out of my pool? Personally I wouldn't put any tree within 25' of a pool.

Being an evergreen tree Manzanitas lose their leaves in the summer when you will want to use the pool.

o

I'm thinking that because the spot for the tree will be at one end of the pool, splashed water will be a minimum, and even if there is a lot, it should be fine.

I'm not worried about the flowers and little fruit, either. I have crapes and Roses in the vicinity and already have some petals that get in the pool. What really irks me is the 10 garbage bags of maple leaves that I pull from the pool every winter, from a 20+ year old silver maple in backyard. Fortunately, it's on its last month of life, as I am taking it out because the horrendous roots are eating my property.

P.S. I wish I had proof-read the title of this thread, because there doesn't seem to be a way to edit posts on this forum, once they're posted.

o

J Braun, I should have mentioned that this tree will not be very tall, maybe 6 ft. And, it's supposed to be a slow grower. I plan to keep it like a Bonsai, if it wants to get bigger.

That said, I didn't know evergreens "she'd their young in the summer". Does that mean they don't drop stuff in winter?

o

well actually most evergreen trees and shrubs can drop at least some of their leaves at ANY time of the year---they generally just don't lose ALL their leaves at any one point in the year---or they would technically be "deciduous". OTOH, just to show their are exceptions to this "rule" the California native coast live oak (quercus agrifolia) can lose most of it's old leaves in the spring (but then very quickly replaces them)--so go figure, LOL..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here