Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alborasso

Is this a type of oak...

alby
12 years ago

... or something else? Whatever it is, will it transplant easily (assuming it's not a weed) and should one of the branches be pruned. Thanks.

{{gwi:412579}}

Comments (12)

• User
    12 years ago

Looks like a Live Oak to me (Quercus virginiana). They don't seem particularly difficult to transplant.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Wait until fall to transplant it. Chances of survival will go up greatly compared to its chances if you tried moving it now.

I'd wait for the spring following it's first year in the new location before pruning. Pruning at transplant would be kicking it when it's already down. Leaving all the foliage for that first year will give the tree a much better ability to become established.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

who knew there was an oak for z10..

cool map at link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

"who knew there was an oak for z10.. "

Ken, you gotta get out of Adrian every once in a while. Dang dude! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Quercus Distribution

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Where in Z10b is this?

Dan

• alby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Right, sorry, 10b South Florida. And thanks for the information and the tips.

This is the second one I've come across. I transplanted the first one a few months ago and promptly managed to kill it somehow. Unfortunately not all that unusual for some of the things I plant. Although a more common result is that some things just simply don't grow. They don't die, they just sit there looking unhappy.

I'll go with Brandon's advice and wait till next fall to try with this.

Thanks again.

• slimwhitman
    12 years ago

Call me crazy, but this looks like a holly to me. I know zone 10 is a different world for me, but it reminds me of a few foster holly seedlings that I have had sprout up.

• dirtman16
    12 years ago

I agree that this may not be a live oak. The leaves of live oak are usually elliptical and not lobed. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what it is!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i was going to guess holly also ... need a pic of the whole ... i also wonder if there was some mite damage, mottling the surface ... but i have never seen a live oak in my life ... so what do i know ...

now.. brandon.. as a man of the great white north ..

should i ever be in z10 south FL .. i will yell ...

I WILL NOT BE LOOKING AT THE TREES ...

jimminey .. you gotta have priorities .. lol ..

ken

• dricha
    12 years ago

It's a oak. I've seen plenty of Live oak seedlings. Classic seedling leaf shapes will change as the tree matures.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I'm always a little hesitant to assign a species from just one or two pictures on here, but it certainly looks typical of a Quercus virginiana seedling to me.

Quercus virginiana from www.delange.org/LiveOak/LiveOak.htm:
    {{gwi:412580}}

Quercus virginiana from ForestFarm's catalog http://www.forestfarm.com/:
    {{gwi:412581}}

Quercus virginiana from the University of Arkansas Extension Service {{gwi:412578}}:
    {{gwi:412578}}

• Ament
    12 years ago

Heh, quick glance I would have said holly too. And I lived on Eglin AFB down in Florida panhandle. *winces* 10 months. Hated it too. Far too sandy there for me. LoL I pleaded with hubby to get orders back home. And heaved a huge sigh of relief when we did get orders back here to the Black Hills. ;)

So my bad! Haha! By the way, Nice link that was Ken, I was able to confirm for certain via that one, which is far better than any other zone map, my exact zone. *g* So thank you for that link.

And good luck transplanting this pretty little Oak! :)

~Tina