Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

More root friendly?

whaas_5a
10 years ago

I wish I could find more info about individual species root systems. Typically you can just find out which ones are troublesome.

Acer Hipazam (likely on standard sugar maple)
Yellowwood

The spot in which serves more as a lawn tree is a bit more protected and not as dry.

The area where there are mulch beds right there is a bit more dry and exposed.

Comments (5)

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

The best discussion of tree root systems and gardening beneath and near various tree species I've ever seen is in George Schenk's classic book, The Complete Shade Gardener.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation!

How many tree species does it cover? If you have this book could you take a snapshot of a section that covers root systems?

I have zero shade, just trying to plan in advance.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Yellowwood supposedly does better in protected locations due to its branching structure. I have killed 2 so far, one planted in early spring and one planted in late fall. The one healthy one I planted in the fall never leafed out in the spring. They seemed to be very sensitive to excess soil moisture when they were supposed to be waking up in the spring. I believe the spring planted one would have been fine if its first growing season weren't started by record rainfall (~24") during 6 weeks of spring/early summer. I lost a few other new plants during that extremely wet period.

The sugar maple should be happy in either location and should be the harder one to garden under when it gets old. It will also send feeder roots all throughout your mulch bed.

John

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jon, what do you mean about protected location due to its branching structure?

I've read the same thing but mostly due to wind. Originally I thought it was because of its foilage getting tattered but now I'm thinking it has to do with the tight v-crotches this species forms.

No ice storms around here...if not rare.

I'm debating if I should transplant the yellowwood this fall or in spring. I've read its a fall dig species only. But the new location is more up hill and not going to get as much winter moisture. Plus I planted the thing about an inch or two too deep.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

"... it has to do with the tight v-crotches this species forms. "

This is exactly what I was referring to!

I believe it is most commonly found naturally in protected coves and as an understory tree where it is mostly protected from the elements.

If you have already planted it and it is doing well, I'd be tempted to let it be honestly. Otherwise, move it when the literature says to and accommodate the siting conditions with an adequate amount of mulch. I can look that info up in my Dirr manual when I get home if you need me to.