Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novie_gw

Tree/Stump removal

Novie
9 years ago

It's very hard for me to even think about removing a tree/stump. We need to remove a small ~6" diameter tree so we can build our home on it. Should I drill a hole and pure some chemicals in it so it completely "pass out" and all the roots gave in before I have the professional remove the tree/stump. Thanks

This post was edited by Novie on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 16:11

Comments (7)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I would think the foundation preperation should eliminate a six inch diameter tree stump. Especially if you are having a basement poured.

6" (inch) not 6' (foot) right?

What part of the country are you in?

• Novie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In Texas, USA- there is no basement due to lot of flooding here. Thanks.

9 years ago

Novie, call your builder and ask them if it will save you $$$ by helping prep the site in any way. Mention the tree and if cutting it down or removing the stump will make a difference. I am thinking they scout the area and bring the appropriate equipment to level your soil, excavate, pour the gravel base and all that.

Its probably like painting a car. More prep work you do the cheaper it is or the less chance a step will be skipped or a stump used as backfill.

They would probably appreciate not having to clear shrubbery also.

Let me know what they say. I still think they will destroy that small of a tree with a dozer or some piece of equipment in three minutes.

• Novie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

toronado3800,

It was the builder who asked me to either have it removed or they will charge over $500 to remove it. That's why i was thinking perhaps let it die first (again, i just hate to have to do this) so all the roots/stump can be used as backfill and just have someone grin the stump 12" deep so it wont be apparent.

Thanks.
    Novie

• mosquitogang201
    9 years ago

If it's going to be under a slab foundation you need to have the stump and roots completely removed. Then the soil backfilled if required and properly compacted. As the big roots (and any pile of wood chips from stump grinding) decompose they are going to leave hollow spots in the soil which will not support the slab and may leave it prone to settling. If it's a small tree it may not matter enough to cause problems, but then again a small tree isn't going to be that hard to remove. IMO, assuming you've selected a competent builder, I'd just let him handle it.

This post was edited by mosquitogang201 on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 7:29

9 years ago

mosquitogang201, have you ever watched this process? I have but not many INDIVIDUAL home foundations being poured so it is not something I am very familiar with.

This tree is six inches across. It is the type of thing I used to cut dow with a handsaw in my youth. What type of equipment will they have on scene to compact and grade the soil that this singular tree is an issue?

Novie, can you post a pic of the building site? Is there a lot of other sbrubbery they want removed?

9 years ago

Assuming this works on the cell. This is the process I am familiar with. These people plan drainage away from the home and everything. Is it much different there? Or are you more hands on with this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube link