Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wobblyhummingbird

Planting under a big cedar tree

Hi all,

I have a Deodar Cedar tree (~50 feet tall) in my front yard, and its roots are basically everywhere in the top 10 inches of soil in half of my yard. I tried planting three California native huckleberry bushes approximately 2 feet from the tree trunk. I dug decently big holes for them when transplanted them from their pots, but all of the holes have some of the live cedar tree roots in them. The huckleberry bushes all died within a month. Now I have gotten over my mourning period, I am ready to try planting some new huckleberry bushes. In order to avoid commit mass murder of huckleberry bushes, I would like to ask you guys some questions.

1) I have read conflicting opinions on whether cedar trees are allelopathic. I was wondering if anyone can share their experience on planting shrubs under cedars?

2) How far away from the tree should I plant?

3) Are there plants that tend to do okay under cedar trees?

4) When I dig holes for transplanting, should I chop off the roots in the holes?

5) Would you guys recommend not digging holes for the bushes, and just add layers of soil on top of my horrible compacted soil? (My current strategy is "amend like there is no tomorrow")

Thank you in advance for all your help! My poor plants have a fighting chance because of all the help that I get from this forum.

Comments (4)